Spirit and DECA host dodgeball finals

Neil Ramaswamy (11) throws the ball during the juniors’ match against the freshman class. The juniors won the game against the freshmen, while the seniors won their game against the sophomores.

by Michael Eng and Aditya Singhvi

Members of the senior and junior classes will compete in the first upper school dodgeball finals in three years tomorrow in the athletics center during long lunch.

The seniors and juniors beat the sophomores and the freshmen, respectively, during the first round of dodgeball games on Nov. 9 in the athletics center.

“[In my freshman year], I have memories of getting destroyed by the seniors in the first round, so it’s kind of nice to be the seniors this time and destroy the underclassmen,” Amitej Mehta (12) said.

Dodgeball was discontinued as a spirit event three years ago after the senior class of 2015 staged a sit-in after losing a game to the juniors, citing alleged cheating by the then-junior class of 2016 as their reason.

The administration decided to reinstate the games this year.

“We felt like the students here have done a great job of being spirited and having good sportsmanship so we felt like they deserved to have a spirit event come back,” Assistant Activities Director Eric Kallbrier said.

Dodgeball has been a Harker tradition for a long time and is always extremely popular among students, according to Kallbrier.

“This is a lot of fun for people; I think it reminds them of elementary school, [of] playing games like doctor-doctor or dodgeball in elementary school,” Kallbrier said. “It’s just a fun way to engage with your class.”

Ramanan Vegesna (10) throws a ball against the seniors. The dodgeball finals between the seniors and juniors will be held tomorrow during long lunch in the athletics center.

DECA and Harker Spirit partnered up to organize the event, with DECA members selling boba tea outside Manzanita during lunch to raise awareness for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

“I wanted to help support my class spirit,” Rishi Dange (10), who played on the sophomore team, said. “[MDS is] something a lot of people should know about, and I feel like it was a great thing to go out there and play for that. It was really fun because all the classes were out there, [with] so many people watching. I felt like it united the school as a whole.”

This piece was published in the pages of the Winged Post on November 16, 2017.