Varsity girls water polo defeats Milpitas High School at home

Sophie+Durn+%289%29+throws+the+ball+to+a+teammate+during+the+home+game+against+Milpitas+High+School.+Sophie+is+one+of+four+freshmen+on+the+varsity+girls+water+polo+team.+

Nerine Uyanik

Sophie Durn (9) throws the ball to a teammate during the home game against Milpitas High School. Sophie is one of four freshmen on the varsity girls water polo team.

by Nerine Uyanik, Humans of Harker Asst. Videographer and Feature Photographer

Varsity girls water polo beat Milpitas High School 12-3 in a home game yesterday at 4 p.m.

Harker pulled ahead 5-1 in the first quarter, with Abby Wisdom (11) scoring three goals and Alicia Xu (10) and Samantha Yanovsky (11) each scoring one.

The girls held their opponents scoreless while senior Sumati Wadhwa and Abby each scored a goal in the second quarter, increasing the team’s lead to 7-1 by halftime.

“I think our team did really well,” Sumati said. “We did start out very strong, and we played as a cohesive unit.”

Harker maintained a lead in the latter half of the game, in which Anna Arnaudova (9) scored two goals and Meghana Karinthi (12), Cassandra Ruedy (10) and Elizabeth Fields (9) scored one each. The game ended with a score of 12-3.

The girls lost to Milpitas 11-4 at an away game earlier this month, and the team noticed that a strong start helped their performance this time around.

“We played this team before and we came out a lot stronger than we did the first time,” sophomore Anika Tiwari said. “I think everybody feels good about this.”

Team coach Allison Lamb noted some differences between the two games against Milpitas High.

“Last time we played this team, we got off to a slow start,” Lamb said. “Today, we really focused on coming out swinging countering, playing our level of water polo, so I think we did pretty well in that.”

The team plays their next game at Lynbrook High School on Oct. 3.