Varsity girls’ volleyball loses to Branham in three sets

Isabella Spradlin (12) jumps up to hit the ball against the Branham Bruins. Isabella is one of five seniors on the team this season and has played on the varsity team since her sophomore year.

by Megan Cardosi, Talon Student Life Editor and Sports Managing Editor

The varsity girls’ volleyball team lost to the Branham High School Bruins on Friday, marking the first ever official match in the new gym and events center.

Tryouts started Aug. 7 for the team, and summer practice lasted two weeks. There were six new players on the team this year. The 14 varsity volleyball athletes began using the gym for practice on Aug. 21, the Monday after the gym’s Aug. 18 opening ceremony.

This was the girls’ first preseason match in the gym, although they had scrimmaged Saint Francis the week before.

Before the game, athletics director Dan Molin announced a ceremonial “first” serve for the gym, in which the girls served over the net in unison.

The Eagles lost the match in three sets, with respective scores of 25-21, 25-21 and 25-17.

“It was a really exciting game, and I’m so happy that a lot of my friends and a lot of other people just came and supported us,” Karen Krause (11) said. “The gym is awesome, and I cannot wait for an even greater season.”

Because of the new gym, spectators and athletes no longer have to travel to the Harker Blackford campus for games.

“There was a lot of good energy and I liked how everyone was getting into the game. The crowd was into it,” spectator Dylan Williams (9) said.

The team will play again against Lynbrook at home on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.