School meeting recap 3/6

Tiffany Wong

Every March, the ReCreate Reading books for the next school year are featured in a special section in the library. This year’s ReCreate Reading lineup features 69 novels to choose from.

by Rashmi Iyer, Reporter

Next year’s ReCreate Reading will feature 69 books. Authors of five of the novels will also attend or Skype into the group reading meetings in August. Students should watch for an email to register; the Class of 2018 registers on March 20 during lunch, the Class of 2019 March 22 during lunch and the Class of 2020 March 24 during advisory. Reading groups, once decided, will meet before the summer on April 10. Students can find a list of available books on the ReCreate Reading libguide.

Students wishing to run for ASB can find forms with Administrative Assistant to the Upper School Dean Kristina Alaniz, and applications are due next monday along with 50 signatures.

Philosophy Club will hold its second annual philosophy conference on March 25 in Nichols Hall from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. This year’s conference will focus on philosophy in leadership and will have Karin Brown, a Philosophy professor from San Jose State University, as a speaker to discuss the role of sympathy in leadership. The event also features Christopher Nikoloff as its closing speaker.

Spanish National Honor Society will host its annual Spanish Cultural Night on Friday from 6 to 9:30 p.m. in the gym. Students currently taking Spanish or who have taken a class in the past can attend and can sample cultural food, participate in salsa lessons and a competition and watch performances by their classmates. The night was advertised at the meeting to be “100 percent in Spanish and free.”

On Friday, sophomores will be in the auditorium for a LIFE meeting with Carolyn Purcell, the author of the novel “Saving Jane Doe,” while freshman will be in the Nichols Atrium with Learning, Innovation and Design Director Diane Main to discuss personal online citizenship and digital footprint. Juniors and Seniors will have the last Eagle Buddies event of the year.

Harker Spirit will host a non-class competition on Friday during long lunch for contestants to win prizes.