School meeting recap 2/22

Students+and+teacher+enter+the+gym+for+school+meeting.+

Arden Hu

Students and teacher enter the gym for school meeting.

by Rashmi Iyer, Reporter

With prom coming up, Nishka Ayyar (10) and Riya Gupta (10) introduced their company PromElle, an online and mobile service where teenage girls can rent and lend formal dresses to each other for four to eight days. They plan to launch their app on the App Store in the coming days, and they invited students with any inquiries to email them at [email protected].

The Spanish National Honor Society requests that students who can sing, dance or do comedy consider auditioning for Spanish Cultural Night. Auditions will take place on March 2 at 12:30 p.m. in Abel Olivas’ room. Acts can be one person or a group, and must be related to Spanish or Spanish culture.

The Business and Entrepreneurship department will host the Harker Incubator, an intensive student-led business incubator for student entrepreneurs. Those interested will receive guidance on starting their own company with financial help and mentorship from the program, and they will design and build products based on the lessons presented. Students should look for an email from [email protected] for the application process.

A resume-building workshop presented by Career Connect will take place on Feb. 28 during long lunch in the Innovation Center. Marissa Enfantino, a former Facebook University Recruiter, will help students create a professional resume for college applications and summer internships.

Red Cross Club will hold a blood drive next Thursday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., and they encourage both students and teachers to donate. Donors must be at least 16 years old and pass weight requirements based on their height. Signups for the 15-minute appointments start tomorrow at long lunch.

Student Council announced their plan to end the breakfast bar option, as not enough students bought the items available. However, they are looking into more ways to sell food during school hours. Students should look for an email with a form to submit feedback to Student Council. Because many students have requested more forks for lunch, the kitchen has ordered 400 more and is also looking into adding chopsticks to the utensils provided in the next couple of weeks.

The AP Studio Art exhibition, displaying works from 30 student artists, began today and will continue until March 17. A reception today at long lunch in the Nichols Atrium provided observers with food and desserts.

Part of the Oeconomia Speaker series, Professor Steve Tadelis from UC Berkeley will come to speak on Friday during long lunch in the Nichols Auditorium. The conference is open to all students, and students taking regular economics, AP economics and game theory will receive extra credit for attending.

Cheer tryouts will take place from March 1 to 3 from 5 to 7 p.m. in Nichols Atrium, and anyone is welcome. Open practices took place today and will take place tomorrow in Blackford MPR.

In girls’ soccer, senior Joelle Anderson scored five goals against Eastside College Prep, ending her high school career with 101 goals. In girls’ basketball, senior Jordan Thompson scored her 2000th career point during the team’s senior night against Crystal Springs. In wrestling, Danny Reidenbach (12), Davis Howard (12) and Eric Fang (9) qualified for CCS. Girls’ lacrosse has a scrimmage tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. on Davis Field.

French, Chinese and Japanese National Honor Societies and Chinese Club will be selling food and hosting other events after school next week. During lunch on Tuesday, Chinese Club and Chinese National Honor Society will have a dragon activity, and Japanese National Honor Society will host a Super Smash Bros tournament after school on Wednesday. French Cultural Night will take place on Friday.