Upper School hosts Back to School Day

Whoever will attend Back to School Day will receive a brochure with the campus map in its pages. Back To School Day will take place Saturday, September 10.

by Nisha Shankar, Reporter

Back to School Day invites all Harker Upper School parents to the Saratoga campus to learn about their child’s classes and teachers, while the teachers meet their student’s parents and discuss the curriculum of their classes on Sept. 10.

“We have Back to School Day so that the parents can put a face to the name,” Butch Keller, Head of the Upper School, said. “The teachers like this time because they promote themselves by talking about ‘this is what I do, this is what I stand for and this is how much I love to teach.’”

Due to construction, parents of seniors are required to park at Blackford along with the other parents. They are recommended to arrive at the Blackford campus before 9:30 a.m. to take a shuttle to the Saratoga Campus.  Each bus will have one student ambassador, who is a member of the Associated Student Body (ASB) or the National Honor Society (NHS). They will explain the agenda of the day with the parents.

“Generally, our senior parents are able park on campus,” Lori Villarreal, Administrative Assistant to the Head of the Upper School, said. “We have had shuttles in the past, but this year they have to take the shuttle. That’s the only difference.”

From 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m., there will be tables outside of Nichols Hall with the student’s schedules for parents to pick up. The student ambassadors will help parents find their way around campus, hand out the schedules of students and hand out maps of the campus.

“We have a variety of jobs in Back to School Day,” ASB President Sandip Nirmel (12) said. “We are supposed to guide the parents around and show them where the classrooms are, and if there are any questions about what we do, where things are or how things work, they can ask us.”

In addition to learning about their child’s school day, parents will also listen to a presentation by the Parent Development Council (PDC) members about endowments and its impact on the school. These presentations are during the advisory and first periods, which will both be 15 minutes long.

Every other class will be 10 minutes long, with a 10-minute gap between classes. Parents can visit Nichols Hall, Dobbins Hall or Main for refreshments, but will not have the opportunity to eat lunch on campus.

The Back to School Day event will end at 12:55 p.m. and parents can ride buses back to the Blackford campus.