Graduation falls on weeknight, Priscilla Chan to be 2016 speaker

Jonathan Dai

Members of the Class of 2015 throw their caps into the air as they celebrate their graduation from high school. The seniors will graduate this year at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga on May 19.

by Tiffany Wong, Reporter

The Class of 2016 will graduate at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga on Thursday, May 19.

“Each class has their own personality; I have now seen 35 classes graduate and no two have been alike,” Butch Keller, Head of the Upper School, said. “My special connection with student councils and teams that I have coached create a special bond. We always look forward to hearing the successes of all of the members of each graduating class in college and beyond.”

Unlike previous years, graduation will take place on a weekday, as opposed to Saturday. The seniors received their caps and gowns during their class meeting on Tuesday, April 2. After trying her graduation attire in the CyberLoft in Nichols, senior Sahana Narayanan reflected on her high school journey and how she was looking forward to graduation.

“The whole experience of trying on my cap and gown was pretty surreal; it was one of those moments I thought would never arrive,” Sahana said. “I’m happy to move forward on to the next adventure and to see where everyone ends up in ten years.”

This year’s valedictorian, Anika Mohindra, will address the Class of 2016 at graduation.

“I was pretty surprised when I found out that I would be this year’s valedictorian,” Anika said. “I think my speech is going to have a serious theme and perhaps overall tone, but that isn’t to say there won’t be any funny anecdotes.”

Baccalaureate this year will be on Wednesday, May 18. Before Baccalaureate, the seniors will vote on their class salutatorian, who will be determined and announced during the seniors’ class trip to Laguna Beach.

Seniors like Lawrence Li had mixed feelings about starting college in the fall.

“I feel bittersweet because high school is ending and I want senioritis to continue,” Lawrence said. “I’m not excited about AP exams, but I’m sure that I will be starting a new life in college and that college will be great.”

The Class of 2016 will participate in a graduation rehearsal on Wednesday, May 18, at the Mountain Winery.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on May 4, 2016.