Six sides of a Greek coin

A+guide+speaks+to+a+group+of+students+in+Pompeii%2C+a+historical+site+in+Naples%2C+Italy.+2016+marked+the+first+year+the+Italy+and+Greece+was+open+to+students.+

Nicole Chen

A guide speaks to a group of students in Pompeii, a historical site in Naples, Italy. 2016 marked the first year the Italy and Greece was open to students.

Over spring break, 15 Harker students participated in the Italy and Greece trip, marking the first time this opportunity was open to students. Students had the chance to participate in and observe all aspects of the big cities.

Let’s Goat Crazy

Students who participated in the trip had the opportunity of observing a goat migration in Dephi. 2016 marked the first year the trip was open to students.
Nicole Chen

Despite the numerous tourist shops and multiple traditional Greek restaurants in Delphi, Greece, shopping on only two streets with shops filled with the same tourist souvenirs can sometimes feel dreary. However, an unexpected turn into the streets can lead to you and your friends leaning across a ledge before the mountains to observe a goat migration. As we looked down, we saw over 200 goats of all shapes, sizes and colors trek in a long line across the mountains. It is definitely a special experience that you cannot find in many places.

Parthe-not to Miss

Students who attended the trip visited the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. 2016 marked the first year the Italy and Greece was open to students.
Nicole Chen

The Parthenon is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Athens, the capital of Greece. Known as the temple on the Athenian Acropolis dedicated to the goddess, Athena, the Parthenon is a magnificent historical site. However, moving one’s eye away from the temple and towards the other direction is a bigger amazement. Due to the outcrop that the Parthenon sits on, the entire city of Athens is visible from it. The mostly white buildings throughout the city run until the horizon, and other historical sites can be seen from this viewpoint.

No Drachma Zone

The flea market in Athens contains a wide variety of goods. 2016 marked the first year the Italy and Greece was open to students.
Nicole Chen

On the other side of the Athens city square is an enormous flea market. Walking through the single street, you can see a wide range of shops with numerous goods, including body yogurt, ten-euro sandals, honey and street art. All of the shop owners are friendly and welcoming to tourists. Strolling through the flea market gives any tourist an authentic view of traditional Greek culture and goods.

Olive You

Greek Salad is a popular dish enjoyed by Greeks on a regular basis. 2016 marked the first year the Italy and Greece trip was open to students.
Nicole Chen

Many individuals recognize different European cuisines; however, much of traditional Greek food is unfamiliar for Americans. Ranging from Greek salad to spanakopita, a spinach-filled puff pastry, to gyros, roasted meat served in pita bread, Greek food is for everyone and is an integral part of Greek culture. Greek salad is one of the most famous Greek dishes and it is a simple salad comprised of olives, tomatoes, feta cheese, lettuce, red onion, and cucumber. Additionally, Greece is famous for its thick honey and rich olive oil.

It’s Mall Greek to Me

The street of Athinas give everyone a wide variety of places to shop, relax and eat. 2016 marked the first year the Italy and Greece was open to students.
Nicole Chen

Near the center city square with the Metropolis Cathedral of Athens is the main shopping street, Athinas Street, packed with locals and tourists. The street contains shops ranging from American stores, such as H&M, to stores only in Europe, such as Pull and Bear. Moreover, numerous restaurants filled with natives as well as tourists, line the streets. You can spend hours on this expansive street, which is conveniently located with restaurants and hotels nearby.

Mesmer-eyes

Dozens of artists lined the streets in hope of selling their art to tourists in Greece. 2016 marked the first year the Italy and Greece was open to students.
Nicole Chen

As you walk down the busy streets of Athens, you will see many interesting street performers. Athens is full of unique artists with various different crafts such as musical instruments, dancing, painting and magic shows. Examples we saw on the main street, Athinas Street, included a dancer with a clear glass ball performing an intricate, mesmerizing routine and a mime performance.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on May 4, 2016.