School Meeting Recap 4/25

Alex Wang

The staff of the Harker Eclectic Literary Magazine presents about their upcoming release with a slideshow during the meeting. HELM will be available for students to purchase for $5 at the Artstravaganza later this week.

by Alex Wang, Reporter

Eighteen students attended the state Future Problem Solvers competition this past week, competing in topics ranging from the arts and humanities to cities and technology. A team of freshmen, which included Taylor Lam, Sarah Min, Tiffany Wong and Kelly Shen, took second place in Global Issues Problem Solving and first place for the overall presentation. Representatives for the sophomores and juniors also placed, qualifying to represent the state of California in the national competition.

The National Honor Society will host its annual AP book drive. There will be a large bin outside of the gym for students to drop of their AP prep books into.

Auditions for JV and Varsity dance will be held on Wednesday from 3:45 p.m. to 5 p.m., while auditions for Kinetic Krew will be held on Friday from 3:45 p.m. to 5 p.m.

The upper school choirs will perform in a concert this Friday, starting at 5:30 p.m. Guys’ Gig performed “You’re My Best Friend” by John Deacon during the school meeting.

Head of school Christopher Nikoloff will host a review of the previous sessions of his “Who are you?” seminar tomorrow starting at 3:30 p.m. He will hold the final session of his seminar during the usual time, Wednesday’s long lunch in the upper school conference room.

This past Friday, all four Harker campuses celebrated Earth Day with different activities, such as the upper school sophomores making leaf art with their third grade Eagle Buddies.

The Green Team announced the results of the Green Challenge, with the Class of 2017 in first place with 3650 points, followed by the Class of 2019 with 3626 points. The winners will receive an ice cream party with completely organic, biodegradable ice cream. The Green Team also announced individual winners.

The Artstravaganza will be held this Wednesday and will feature submissions for the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Every submission that was awarded with a gold key was sent to be judged at the national level. Many Harker students received awards at the national level, including Alex Mo (11), who won a silver medal in photography, Kaity Gee (12), who won a silver medal in flash fiction, Andrew Rule (11), who won a silver medal in short story, Elisabeth Siegel (12), who won a silver medal in poetry, and Meilan Steimle (11), who won a gold medal for a personal essay.

The upper school jazz band will be playing outside of Nichols during the Artstravaganza, from 11:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. There will be poetry and story readings inside of Nichols, and food and cake will be served.

Construction of the new performing arts center will begin on May 9, but a groundbreaking ceremony will be held next Tuesday after eighth period. Students are encouraged to wear their class shirts.

The seniors won the regatta relay during spirit week, while the juniors won the scream-off. The sophomores were fourth overall with 43 points, following the freshmen in third with 50 points, the seniors in second with 51 points, and the juniors in first with 54 points.

Boys golf beat Crystal Springs Uplands School to remain in first place in their league with an 8-0 record.  Eagles play Sacred Heart Preparatory today and finish the season with senior night against Pinewood School at Los Lagos Golf Course tomorrow.

Boys volleyball remains undefeated in league play at 7-0 and in first place. The team travels to Eastside College Preparatory Wednesday and hosts Santa Clara High School at Blackford this Friday. They then travel to the Harbor High Tournament Saturday.

Softball lost to Castilleja 6-2 last week and travel to Castilleja School tomorrow and host Yerba Buena High School Wednesday and Pinewood School Friday.

Boys tennis lost to Sacred Heart Preparatory last Thursday, but won against Crystal Springs Uplands School Wednesday to maintain a hold on third place in league.  The boys travel to Menlo School tomorrow and a few of the boys participate in the WBAL tournament Thursday and Friday.

Members of the track team competed in the CCS Top eight meet last Friday and the St. Francis Invitational on Saturday. The team participates in a WBAL meet this Wednesday at Kings Academy.

Baseball hosts Westmoor High School Thursday at Blackford.

Girls Lacrosse hosts Christian Brothers High School on Wednesday and travels to Carlmont High School on Friday.

The boys golf team will have its senior night tomorrow at Los Lagos Golf Course to honor seniors Zarek Drozda and Dakota McNealy.

The swim team will host its senior night meet against Kings Academy this Wednesday at 3:45 p.m. at Singh Aquatic Center.

Volume 17 of the Harker Eclectic Literary Magazine will be released this Wednesday and will be available for $E5 at the Artstravaganza in Nichols. This year’s magazine follows a theme of space.

The upper school will follow an alternate schedule tomorrow for class speeches and on Thursday for class elections.

Today’s meeting was the last school meeting for seniors.