School meeting recap–4/4

Alex Wang

Caption: Orchestra members set up their instruments and stands in preparation of their performance during the meeting. The orchestra will play in its spring concert this Friday at De Anza College.

by Alex Wang, Reporter

Prom tickets will be available beginning today outside of Manzanita. Tickets will cost $110 if bought today, $120 afterwards and $140 at the door.

Head of School Christopher Nikoloff will hold his “Who are you?” seminar this Wednesday in the conference room starting at 11:45 a.m. Wednesday’s seminar will be the third installment out of four in total. It is available to everyone regardless of attendance to the previous sessions.

Registration for Recreate Reading will begin this week. Students will receive personalized emails to pick and sign up for a book to read over the summer. Rising seniors will receive their emails after ASB speeches tomorrow, while rising juniors will receive theirs before long lunch on Wednesday and rising sophomores will receive their emails around the beginning of advisory on Thursday. Students must register for a book by the end of the week and will attend a meeting with their books’ sponsors next Tuesday in place of a class meeting.

The Speech and Debate team will host a speech showcase today in the Nichols Auditorium starting from 4:30 p.m.

Assistant Head of School Jennifer Gargano presented about the Recognition Program and the awards associated with it. Each teacher may select two students to nominate for each of the Love of Learning, Mission of the School, Leadership and Service Awards. Each student who is selected will receive a certificate from the school. Students who receive two or more awards will be invited to a dinner.

The Green Team and Green Committee presented a refresher course regarding the Wet and Dry trash system. Anything that is compostable should be disposed of in the Wet bin, while everything else should be disposed of in the Dry bin. There is also a specialized bin for Capri-Sun pouches. This Wednesday, members of the club and the committee will be in Manzanita answering questions about the system.

Interact will hold its club week this week. The club will be selling food throughout the week, including pop bars on Wednesday, pizookies on Friday, and Pinkberry after school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The sales will go towards Interact’s 2015-2016 international project, “Hello, My Name Is,” which is centered on the issue of human trafficking.

The National Honor Society showed a promotion video for their service fair, which the club will hold during long lunch this week.

The upper school will follow a special schedule tomorrow to accommodate ASB speeches. Class council forms are now available for anyone interested in running for a class officer position.

The orchestra played a song from the play West Side Story during the meeting. It will hold its annual spring concert this Friday night at the De Anza College Performing Arts Center. The middle school orchestra will play around 7 p.m., while the upper school orchestra will begin around 8 p.m.

Applications for the 2017 Near and Mitra program are available on the library portal. Students may contact history teacher Donna Gilbert or librarian Susan Smith for more information.