Upper school dancers participate in buddy program

Rose Guan

Rose Guan

Liana Wang (10) leads members of a fifth-grade dance class in warming up during a March 14 dance class at the Lower School. Karl Kuehn, upper school dance program director, conceptualized the idea for the program with Gail Palmer, dance program director for the Lower and Middle Schools.

by Rose Guan, Reporter

Upper school dance team members from the varsity, junior varsity and Kinetic Krew dance teams met with lower school dance classes last week to assist teachers.

Upper school dancers helped fourth- and fifth-graders on March 14 and Friday. They worked with second-grade students on March 15 and with first- and third-graders on March 16.

Karl Kuehn, upper school dance program director, conceptualized the idea for the program with Gail Palmer, dance program director for the Lower and Middle Schools.

“We were thinking of ways to make it more unified between the campuses in dance, since it’s a great opportunity because we have K-through-12 here,” Palmer said. “In particular, I’m an advocate for boys dancing, and I think seeing that there’s high school boys dancing can be really good for our lower school and middle school boys.”

Some dancers who volunteered for the program wanted to support dancers at the Lower School and encourage them to continue dancing.

“I just think it’s a fantastic opportunity to help out the younger dancers and get them really inspired,” Timothy Wang (9), a member of Kinetic Krew, said. “A lot of times second graders join to see what it’s like, and I want to make sure that they stay there. This is an opportunity to get them really into the dance program.”

Other dancers thought of their own time at the Lower School when choosing to join.

“It was a great experience. It really brought me back to those days in elementary school,” Liana Wang (10), a member of the varsity dance troupe, said. “I always like assisting teachers; I did that when I was younger, so I would always go for it. I think just being able to teach younger kids is a really good skill to have, and also it’s nice to connect with people in the Lower School.”

Kuehn hopes to expand the program to encompass the Middle School as well as the Lower School later this year and for future years.

“Hopefully the program will continue to grow; the upper school students seemed pretty excited about the opportunity to work with our younger dancers here at Harker,” Kuehn said. “We opened it up to our audition groups and Conservatory certificate students. They’ll be assisting with grade-level classes at the Lower School as kind of a trial, and we would like it to then later on this year happen at the Middle School as well. They will just be providing some assistance and talking to the students about dance at the Upper School and all the things they have to look forward to as they get older.”

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 23, 2016.