DECA prepares for conference

DECA+holds+a+study+session+in+the+Innovation+Center+after+school+on+Feb.+19.+DECA+will+travel+to+compete+in+a+San+Diego+Conference+today.+

Michael Sikand

DECA holds a study session in the Innovation Center after school on Feb. 19. DECA will travel to compete in a San Diego Conference today.

by Michael Sikand, Reporter

Eighty-nine upper school students will attend the DECA State Career Development Conference (SCDC) in San Diego from Mar. 2-6.

Upwards of 2,000 students from forty California high schools will come together to bring their business, leadership and finance skills to competition. In addition to competing, students will attend a dance, take advantage of networking opportunities and enjoy the San Diego Zoo.

In early January, the Harker DECA chapter competed at the Silicon Valley conference (SVCDC) in San Jose, bringing in a record ten first place wins along with numerous finalists.

SVCDC served as a benchmark for students looking to compete at the state level, and members can expect a more intense competitive climate for the upcoming convention. Participants who place at least fourth in their event will be eligible for the International Career Development Conference (ICDC), taking place in Nashville in April.

Juston Glass, director of business and entrepreneurial programs at the upper school, described the preparation of the Harker DECA chapter.

“I truly feel that our chapter has been more than dedicated to this year’s SCDC DECA conference,” he said. “Our officer team, Mr. Thompson, and myself, have been diligently preparing each individual member to perform at the highest level possible. I can’t wait to see all of their hard-work come to fruition.”

Since the chapter’s accomplishments in January, Harker DECA members have not been distracted. Students have been preparing in after-school study sessions, where they take practice tests, simulate presentations and get feedback from the officer team.

Although Enya Lu (9) was a first place finalist earlier this year, she has been reviewing and revising to have an edge on her opponents.

“I feel like I really worked hard,” she said. “I study the performance indicators and practice roleplays with the officers. I have confidence in myself.”

Riya Chandra, VP of operations, explained the importance of States.

“DECA states is one of the most important conferences, students have been working really hard throughout the year preparing for their events; coming to study sessions every week,” she said. “This is the time where students can qualify for ICDC so they can go fulfill their dreams there.”

The group will head south and leave campus on Mar. 2 at 1:00 p.m. As the conference is just around the corner, last-minute study sessions will be held in the Innovation Center to prepare the DECA chapter.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 3, 2016.