School meeting recap–2/29

Alex Wang

Michelle Honda Phillips speaks about her transgender daughter and the gender spectrum during the school meeting. This week is GSA’s club week and they will be selling coffee cake and pearl milk tea.

by Alex Wang, Reporter

GSA will sell coffee cake and boba during lunch and after school for its club week. The club invited a guest speaker, Michelle Honda Phillips, daughter of senator Mike Honda, to speak during the meeting. Phillips spoke generally about the gender spectrum, then more specifically about her transgender daughter, who transitioned at 18 months of age.

Alumnus Jennifer Nyugen (11’) spoke about community service and her involvement in Key Club during high school and her current work with service organizations such as Sunday Friends. She described her experiences working with students at a Santa Clara elementary school.

Junior Meilan Steimle performed a rhyming speech about the Happiness Philosophy Seminar that will be held by Head of School Christopher Nikoloff during this week’s long lunch.

To commemorate Feb. 29 as leap day, Spirit held three activities, including leap frog, during both lunches, which featured prizes.

Senior Sahana Narayanan and Jane Keller spoke about how the chalk on the chalkboard outside of the art building was removed due to complaints of people erasing what other people wrote. The chalk has been returned to the chalkboard to make it a place for people to write their thoughts and emotions with the warning that the board is not for graffiti.

Boys basketball lost in the second round of the CCS tournament last Thursday at San Lorenzo Valley High School with a score of 47-67.

Baseball opened their season with a 16-3 victory over Livermore Valley Charter Prep.

The varsity swim team hosted its first meet of the season last Wednesday against Crystal Springs Uplands and The King’s Academy.
Girls lacrosse lost to Archbishop Mitty High School last Wednesday. They play Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory tomorrow at 3:30 p.m., Gunn High School on Wednesday, and York School on Friday.
Softball started their season with wins over Overfelt High School and Mercy High School. The girls travel to Palo Alto tomorrow and host Menlo-Atherton High School on Friday.

The cheerleading team is having practices on Wednesdays throughout March. Anyone interested must have a yellow card in order to attend. The team will not be taking any new members after the beginning of the next school year.

The Upper School will follow a special schedule tomorrow to accommodate an assembly.

Hoscars audition videos are due by Friday.