Spring musical cast list announced

Jeton+Gutierrez-Bujari+%2812%29+and+Rishabh+Chandra+%2811%29%2C+played+the+baker+and+Jack+in+last+years+spring+musical%2C+Into+the+Woods.+Rehearsals+for+this+years+musical+will+begin+after+February+break.+

Sahana Srinivasan

Jeton Gutierrez-Bujari (12) and Rishabh Chandra (11), played the baker and Jack in last year’s spring musical, “Into the Woods.” Rehearsals for this year’s musical will begin after February break.

by Ria Gupta, Reporter

The cast list for this year’s musical, “Bye, Bye Birdie,” was posted on the Harker Conservatory page on Schoology, last Friday by the musical directors, casting a total of 47 Upper School students.

Communication manager Catherine Snider and head of performing arts Laura Lang-Ree are the directors of the 2016 spring musical. Auditions and callbacks were held last week, and the directors finalized the cast list last Friday.

Each student had an individual audition in which they performed a monologue, sang 16 bars of music, and created and performed a character of their own. In addition to this, they also took part in a dance audition.

“For both Ms. Snider and I, it comes down to the students who can really tell the story,” Lang-Ree said. “So they have a great stage presence, they’re accurately depicting whatever emotion or story needs to be told by their characters, in their acting, and their singing, and their dancing.”

The four principal roles were given to Kayvon Solaimanpour (11), playing Albert Peterson, Namitha Vellian (12), playing Rose Alvarez, Emre Ezer (11), playing Conrad Birdie, and Mia Giammona (11), playing the role of Kim MacAfee.

“Bye, Bye Birdie” was first performed in 1963 and is composed by Charles Strouse and Johnny Green. In the musical, Albert, the manager of singer and teen heartthrob, Conrad Birdie, writes a song called “One Last Kiss” with his wife Rose, and Birdie randomly chooses a Birdie Fangirl from one of his fanclubs to kiss before he goes off to war.

Along with upperclassmen, freshmen will also take part in the musical and were given named parts, as well as featured dancers. Matthew Hajjar (9) was casted as Brett and a Featured Dancer.

“I was a little nervous because they gave us music and we had to go home and prepare it,” Matthew said. “They also gave us a dance that we had to remember and to prepare myself, I just listened to the recording I made on my phone and then sang back to that, as well as prepared a monologue.”

Arjun Subramaniam (11) got the part of Conrad Birdie’s guitar player and is also part of “Maude’s Male Quartet,” the Overture Soloists, and “Dudes.”

“[I’m looking forward to] the performance week and the performances,” Arjun said. “I always find that performance week is when you really identify with the other cast members, making friends, and really seeing the work you’ve done come to life.”

Rehearsals for the 2016 Spring Musical start after February break.