Summit brings about gradual improvements

Ashley Jiang

Harker Summit attendees Namitha Vellian (12), Peter Connors (10) and Kobe Howard (9) discuss concerns of the student body in small groups.

by Raveena Kapatkar and Rithika Devarakonda

Changes as a result of suggestions given at the Harker Summit, which occurred on Sept. 25, are continuing to be implemented throughout the year.

Recent changes include creating a quiet study space for students during free periods if the library is full as well as putting into effect the new schedule, which had already been underway before the Summit. The administration will implement the new schedule from January to February and will run on a trial basis. If successful, the new schedule will be used during the next academic year.

We got 119 people together to talk about our school. How cool is that?

— Evan Barth

Honor council adviser Evan Barth, head of the Summit, reflects on whether or not he believes the outcome of the Summit was a success.

“We got 119 people together to talk about our school. How cool is that?” Barth said. “Not every school does that, so I would consider it a success,” Barth said. “Could it have been better? Could we have loftier and more concrete results? Yes. We’re not done yet, and I think some of the bigger picture items that they were talking about are longer term changes that maybe we can work towards.”

Alayna Richmond (11) believes that the suggestions that are being taken into account as a result of the Summit are improving the school.

“I’m glad that the Honor council is considering suggestions students made at the summit because I think there are many ways that our school can be improved,” Alayna said. “The new study spaces are especially helpful because the library is always full, and for a long time there have been few other quiet places to work.”

Evan Barth, Academic Dean, presents at the Summit. The Harker Summit was previously titled the Honor and Ethics Conference, but administration changed the name to stimulate discussions regarding the community.
Ashley Jiang

Barth explains that other suggestions that came up during the Summit cannot be implemented solely by the Honor Council.

“Some of the other issues that came up from the Summit–[they] are bigger things that are not easily action items from the students in the Honor Council,” Barth said. “They are more of the okay now here is my idea–where we going to go with it in terms of the culture of the school.”

Other suggestions given during the Summit will continue to be applied into the Harker community throughout the year.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on November 20, 2015.