School meeting recap–11/16

Vijay Bharadwaj

Oisin Coveney (12) delivers the eagle update for the week. Harker football lost to Fortuna High School with a score of 0-41.

by Vijay Bharadwaj, Wingspan Copy Editor

Students observed a moment of silence at the beginning of school meeting this morning to honor those who had fallen in Beirut, Lebanon; Baghdad and Paris.

The program “Arrive Alive” allows drivers to experience the dangers of texting and driving through virtual reality goggles. The simulation will be held during extra help and long lunch on Wednesday.

Dean of students Kevin Williamson also reminded students to put away phones during advisory periods, assemblies and school meetings.

The science research club is holding an internship session for students at the start of long lunch this Wednesday. The club will provide different tips for internships and answer any questions.

Women in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (WISTEM) Club is supporting the organization WISER for the year. WISER is an organization that allows young girls in rural Kenyan villages to receive a formal education, an opportunity that would otherwise be denied. The club will be selling food and snacks everyday after school this week and during long lunch.

Harker DECA will host soon be hosting Hoops and Scoops on Wednesday during long lunch. Hoops and Scoops is an event in which students will play a basketball game against faculty members while students have the opportunity to buy ice cream for $5. All proceeds will go to the Muscular Dystrophy Association in the Bay Area.

The upper school Red Cross Club is holding its annual blood drive on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving Break. The donor must be in good general health and cannot eat fatty foods the day before.

The girls volleyball team defeated Santa Cruz Saturday night in the CCS quarterfinals held at Blackford. The girls now face Menlo in the CCS semifinals this Wednesday at Notre Dame-Belmont at 5:30 p.m.

The girls cross country team placed eighth in the D-4 CCS Championships. Niki Iyer will now advance to the state championships in two weeks.

Girls tennis lost to Menlo High School in the third round of the CCS playoffs last Wednesday to finish the season with a 14-4 record. The doubles team of Elizabeth ¨Lizzy¨ Schick and Pamela Duke will compete in the CCS individual tournament Nov. 23 to Nov. 24.

The football team lost to Fortuna High School last Friday. The boys finished with a record of 8-3 overall and a second place league finish.

Monday is the last day to turn in permission slips for the Harker Spirit Beach Trip. The pumpkin pie eating contest will be held this Friday during both lunches in Manzanita.

In lieu of the recent events in Paris, French National Honor Society will honor victims during both lunches on Thursday outside Manzanita. Students can sign cards to honor the victims and hang cards on the bulletin board in Main.

This Thursday has an alternate schedule to accommodate for Eagle Buddies and L.I.F.E.