Upper school choirs perform at first choral concert of the year

Cantilena+sang+their+last+song+at+last+years+Choral+Concert+while+being+directed+by+Susan+Nace.+Several+performing+arts+groups+performed+at+the+Choral+Concert+titled+Ad+Amore+last+year+on+Nov.+13+in+Nichols+Auditorium.+

Kshithija Mulam

Cantilena sang their last song at last year’s Choral Concert while being directed by Susan Nace. Several performing arts groups performed at the Choral Concert titled “Ad Amore” last year on Nov. 13 in Nichols Auditorium.

by Katherine Zhang, Reporter

Bel Canto, Cantilena, Guys’ Gig, Camerata and Acoustics performed in their first choral concert of the year, “I Dream a World,” this evening from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Nichols auditorium.

The concert consisted of songs from the Western Hemisphere. The choirs performed a several genres of music, including American and Canadian folk songs, African-American spirituals, modern a cappella pieces, an Iroquois soundscape and classical choral pieces.

The choirs began preparing for the performance since they chose the repertoire last spring.

“There are daily rehearsals in which musical and vocal exercises play a large part,” Susan Nace, the director of Camerata, Cantilena, Guys’ Gig and Acoustics, said. “The students take the responsibility of memorizing their music, finding their emotional connection to the songs, and working on solos on their own.”

Bel Canto, which consists predominantly of freshmen and sophomores, started the show with “Down in the Valley,” an American folk song, and “Rattle on the Stovepipe,” a Canadian folk song.

Bel Canto director Jennifer Sandusky spoke about the challenges the singers faced in preparing for their first choral performance.

“This is one of their first performances where it’s going to be a traditional concert venue,” Sandusky said. “[The students] have had to do some work outside of class to get the music learned and memorized.”

Bel Canto also performed a song with Camerata. The two groups sang “I Dream a World” by André Thomas, which is based on the Langston Hughes poem of the same name.

“This song is the main piece of the concert as it gives it’s name to the concert,” Aislinn Coveney (10), a member of Camerata, said. “It portrays a perfect world that we dream of and it is about mankind becoming united and happy.”

Camerata, which includes sophomores, juniors and seniors, then performed “Shenandoah,” an American folk song arranged by James Erb. Nace spoke about why she chose this piece.

“Shenandoah fits the abilities of our men singers who are awesome, showcasing their ability to sing four-part harmony while still having women’s parts that fit the abilities of our women singers,” Nace said.

Acoustics, which consists of select members of Camerata, sang “God Bless the Child” by Arthur Herzog, Jr. and Billie Holliday.

“‘God Bless the Child’ has a ton of complex chords in it that we’ve worked really hard to nail,” MC Smitherman (12), who has a solo in the performance, said.

Guys’ Gig, the all-boys choir, sang an a cappella version of “Since U Been Gone,” written by Max Martin and Lukasz Gottwald and “Up On the Roof,” by Gerry Goffin and Carole King.

“Ms. Nace said to us before that she’s letting us do songs that are a little bit harder because she knows that we’re able to do them,” Rishabh Chandra (12), the president of Guys’ Gig, said.

Finally, Cantilena, the all-girls a cappella choir, performed “Run Children Run,” an African-American spiritual, “Punching the Dough,” an American folk song, “Watane,” an Iroquois soundscape, “Sing Me to Heaven,” a choral piece by Daniel Gawthrop and “Sister my sister,” an a cappella song by Sue Johnson.

“I really enjoy the songs that we’re singing,” Amrita Singh (11) said. “I think it’s a great opportunity for Cantilena to break out of the shell that Cantilena’s been known for, for only singing classical music.”

Members of the choirs shared what they most enjoyed about the experience of performing in the concert.

“I think it’s fun to sing, and I think it’s fun when people laugh,” Rahul Bhetanabotla (10), a member of Bel Canto and Guys’ Gig, said. “It’s kind of a rewarding experience seeing people happy.”

The next concert will be the Holiday show on Dec. 11, which will feature both singers and dancers. The performances will take place at 9 a.m. at the Blackford Campus, noon at the Saratoga campus, and at 2 p.m. at Bucknall.