School meeting recap–10/27

Vijay Bharadwaj

Upper school dean of students Kevin Williamson gives an announcement during class meeting. Students are reminded to remain quiet at the beginning of every school meeting.

by Vijay Bharadwaj, Wingspan Copy Editor

Dean of students Kevin Williamson reminded students to remain silent at the start of school meetings to hasten all announcements.

CareerConnect is holding Quickbooks Connect, a conference in which students will listen to a presentation about persuasion and a keynote from Oprah Winfrey, next Tuesday during seventh period. Interested students must sign a permission slip due this Friday to advisor Juston Glass.

Students part of The Laramie Project play will perform on Oct. 29, Oct. 30 and Oct. 31. Tickets are still being sold during both lunches in Manzanita Hall. Students can also purchase tickets through The Laramie Project’s Facebook page.

The yearbook staff informed students that the yearbook is $100 until Nov. 16, until which the price will rise to $120. Yearbook forms are outside the journalism room, and those who submit by the end of this week will be entered in a drawing for a free yearbook and cookies.

The football team currently has a record of 7-1 after its victory against St. Vincent de Paul High School. This Friday, the Upper School will host Stellar Preparatory High School in a game to determine the league championship game. Senior night for both football and cheerleading will take place this Friday.

The Cross Country team will compete in the league championships on Nov. 6.

Girl’s golf defeated Mercy Burlingame in its senior night game. Its current record for the season is 6-4.

Girl’s tennis had three wins last week against Presentation High School, Crystal Spring Uplands School and Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory. The team’s current record is 12-2 as they host Castilleja School and Menlo School this Thursday for senior night.

Girl’s water polo lost its senior night game against Santa Clara High School on Thursday.

Boy’s water polo beat Lynbrook High School and won its senior night game. Both water polo teams will play at Fremont and Milpitas in preparation for the league tournament.

Girl’s volleyball lost to Menlo, its first loss in league games. The girls will host Notre Dame-San Jose today at Blackford.

The journalism staff invited students to write for the repeater column “Heart of Harker.” Depending on the number of submissions that they receive for the column, the column will move online to Harker Aquila. Emails for the column submissions should be sent to [email protected].

Student council has opened up spaces in certain classrooms for quiet study. These classrooms will be available during free periods. A schedule will soon be released detailing classes that are open for certain periods.

Students can wear costumes this Friday in the spirit of Halloween. Harker Spirit is holding a Halloween dress up and costume contest during both lunches on Friday. The categories for the contest include: funny, scary, cute, best group and best overall.

This Thursday will run on an alternate schedule to accommodate for an assembly.