Varsity girls golf defeats Mercy Burlingame on senior night

Adrian Chu

Vanessa Tyagi (10), Ashley Zhong (12), Daphne Liang (12), and Vienna Wang (11) laugh recalling the seniors’ funny moments of the season. The team had their senior night game on Monday against Mercy High School Burlingame.

The varsity girls golf team won its senior night game 194-254 against Mercy High School Burlingame on Monday at the Los Lagos Golf Course.

The team honored seniors and team captains Daphne Liang, who scored a 38, and Ashley Zhong, who scored 41, after the final holes. The victory moved the girls golf program to 6-3, second place in the West Bay Athletics League (WBAL) standings.

After the game ended and the scores were tallied, head coach Ie-Chen Cheng gave a speech appreciating the seniors’ effort and commitment to golf since freshman year.

“I commend you both,” Cheng said to the seniors. “I cannot say enough [about] these two girls, and the time and the sweat and the tears. It has not been easy. I’ve been very demanding of them, and they came out like champions.”

Both captains finished off the game below par on the last hole, leading to cheers from the crowd. More than 35 friends and family members came to support the team, and many friends brought posters demonstrating their congratulations.

Vanessa Tyagi (10) holds up a sign celebrating the girl's golf team's seniors. The team had their senior night game on Monday against Mercy High School Burlingame.
Adrian Chu
Vanessa Tyagi (10) holds up a sign celebrating the girl’s golf team’s seniors. The team had their senior night game on Monday against Mercy High School Burlingame.

The seniors were honored just after the ninth and final hole. Following the end of the match, Ashley spoke about how golf has changed her since freshman year.

“When I started high school, I didn’t even think about being on the [golf] team,” Ashley said. “But ever since I started, I fell in love with the sport.”

Daphne, co-captain since junior year and All-League golfer all four years, elaborated on her golf experience at the Upper School.

“I’ve played since freshman year, so it’s a been a pretty big part of my high school career,” Daphne said, following the celebration.

Cheng also spoke about each captain’s improvement and importance to the golf program, which grew from just five players to 17 within four years.

“What we’re really proud of is to take kids in who’ve never golfed and turn them into potential collegiate athletes is amazing,” Cheng said. “That’s more rewarding to me to see than anything. Their development and their commitment. That’s why I say Ashley’s such a shining example, and Daphne too.”

The girls will play against league-leading Castilleja School on Wednesday at 3 p.m. at Palo Alto Hills Country Club.