Clare Elchert returns to the Upper School after battling cancer

Upper+School+Nurse+Claire+Elchert+returned+to+campus+to+resume+her+duties+on+Sept.+25.+Elchert+will+work+on+campus+part-time.+

Varun Baldwa

Upper School Nurse Claire Elchert returned to campus to resume her duties on Sept. 25. Elchert will work on campus part-time.

Upper School Nurse Clare Elchert returned to campus to resume her duties on Sept. 25 after successfully battling cancer.

Elchert, who suffered from non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, had been on medical leave since April. Assistant Nurse Debra Nott took over for Elchert in her absence.

“Everyone has welcomed me and it’s been wonderful to be back,” Elchert said. “I feel like I was missed by both the students and my co-workers. It made me realize, now that I’m feeling better, through my treatment course, [how much] I miss the place.”

Elchert also thanked the students for their gift of a thousand origami cranes in late April.

“The kids were great. ” Elchert said. “Colleagues were offering support and cards and meals. So I certainly knew through the process that I was cared for.”

Elchert will work on campus part-time. She will be available in the nurse’s office between 8 a.m and 12 p.m. every day except Thursday, when she is on campus from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on October 16, 2015.