Filed under News, Online Exclusive

Students wear red on National Coming Out Day

Students+wore+red+to+show+support+for+the+LGBT+community.+National+Coming+Out+Day+was+on+Friday.+
Students wore red to show support for the LGBT community. National Coming Out Day was on Friday.

Maya Valluru

Maya Valluru

Upper school students and teachers wore red in support of the LGBT community on National Coming Out Day on Friday.

Flyers were posted around campus during the week leading up to the occasion to remind and encourage everyone to wear red on Oct. 9.

This campus-wide event was dedicated to celebrating equality and acceptance across all sexual orientations, genders and more.

Illana Goldberg (11) shared why wearing red clothing or accessories demonstrated the Harker community’s support of LGBT individuals.

“It brought awareness to the issue, but I think most importantly, school-wide participation shows support for everyone who is trying to feel accepted,” she said. “It brings a sense of comfort and security.”

During both lunches, Spanish teacher and language department chair Abel Olivas along with student members of Harker GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) handed out rainbow smiley-face stickers in front of Manzanita to those who passed by. Students wore these stickers and placed them around campus, further spreading the celebration and welcoming atmosphere.

Harker GSA member Jenny Bourke (12) explained why this event was crucial for those struggling with issues pertaining to being LGBT.

“I think it is important that they participated because that means that anyone in the closet, or struggling with their own issues, can feel safer, and they can come out and be who they truly are with all the people they are around every day,” she said.

Support for the LGBT community has been a constant activity in the school. Students are educated on this issue both by their peers as well as their educators. Last year, a video was shown during school meeting that showed gay or lesbian teachers answering questions about their lifestyles and displaying their pride.

The Upper School emphasizes its support by continuing the tradition of wearing red each year on this nationwide holiday.