Students take part in annual “Panoply of Chaos” parade

The+sophomores+walk+in+the+parade+with+their+bee+hive+themed+float.+The+parade+was+held+yesterday+in+the+quad.+

Raveena Kapatkar

The sophomores walk in the parade with their bee hive themed float. The parade was held yesterday in the quad.

Upper school students showcased their spirit by participating in the annual homecoming parade “Panoply of Chaos” that was held in the quad yesterday during long lunch.

The parade was led by Jazz Band that played “Second Line,” “When the Saints Go Marching” and “You Are My Sunshine.” Each class also presented a float that corresponded to their particular homecoming theme. For this year, the themes were “Under the Sea” for seniors, “Farm” for juniors, “Bee Hive” for sophomores and “Into the Jungle” for freshmen.

Following Jazz Band, the freshmen led the parade with their jungle themed float. The black and yellow sophomore float came next. The juniors followed with their barn float, and the seniors closed the event with their under the sea float, which incorporated a fish tank and other sea creatures.

Many freshmen gathered to participate in their first homecoming parade and ultimately left with good impressions of this homecoming event.

“It was really great and all the freshmen really came out there and showed their support,” freshman class president Kelsey Wu said.

Upperclassmen were amazed by the number of students in their grade that participated in the parade.

“It was super hype; especially the senior class,” Namitha Vellian (12) said. “We were very enthusiastic. We had the most participation since the last four years.”

Teachers and administrators such as Spirit Club advisor Andrew Irvine and freshman class dean Chris Florio also took part in the parade. Irvine was impressed with the number of students that were involved with the event.

“We usually have more spectators; this time all the people got involved. And, the senior class was like scary ‘spiritful’ right?” Irvine said.

To some students, the homecoming parade was also an opportunity to grow closer to their peers.

“It was a really great bonding experience and a really great chance for everyone in our class to get to know each other,” sophomore class president Jimmy Lin said. “Definitely I would say the way that everyone gathered together around a class icon really impressed me.”

After stopping the parade in the quad area behind the gym, Eric Kallbrier, assistant to directors for activities and clubs, led a short competition for all the students. As Kallbrier called out each class, students shouted to see which class could be the loudest.

The freshmen and sophomores also had their spirit dress-up day on Wednesday.

The juniors and seniors’ dress up day was today, and another spirit event was held during both lunches outside Manzanita.