Upper school programmers head to Stanford ProCo

Courtesy of Frank Chen, Stanford ProCo

Senior Serena Wang (top left) participated in Stanford ProCo 2014. This year’s contest will take place this Sunday at Stanford University.

Upper school students will participate in Stanford ProCo 2015, a programming contest for Bay Area high school students, which will take place at Stanford University this Sunday.

The competition is open to programmers of all levels of experience, with a novice division for those with less than one year of experience and an advanced division for everyone else.

The contest consists of two sections: a two-hour long speed round with eight problems and a special round that changes each year and will remain a surprise until the day of the contest.

Last year, the special round included identifying problems with bugged code.

Freshmen Jerry Chen and Randy Zhao competed in ProCo as eighth-graders and received first place in Speed Round portion of the novice division.

“It’s challenging, but once you think about it for a long time, you actually solve a problem,” Jerry, who is participating in ProCo again this year, said. “It’s really satisfying.”

Harker Algorithm club, which is currently wrapping up its inaugural year, tries to prepare students for programming contests just like Stanford ProCo.

Founded by David Lin (12), the current President of the club, and Lawrence Li (11), the club aims to teach students about algorithms and their real-world applications.

An algorithm is a step-by-step procedure or methodology used to solve a problem.

“There are a lot of skills we found [that] at the end of the day, required programming in some way,” David said. “For instance in research, a lot of the machine learning algorithms are based on this same set of algorithms.”

David has previously participated in ProCo with Ashwath Thirumalai (12) and Andrew Jin (12).

“It was definitely a lot of fun, because it was just solving problems without the documentation,” David said. “It’s reducing it to problem-solving and finding creative ways to solve a problem within the time frame of one second using a program. It was a great experience.”

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 9.01.45 AMMaya Kumar

Teams for ProCo, which can have up to three students each, can submit code as many times as they wish until their submission passes all test cases. The number of incorrect submissions before one that passes does not affect a team’s ranking.

Rankings for the speed round are determined by the number of correct submissions and the time when the code was submitted.

C, C++, Java and Python 2.7 are all accepted.

Teams that rank in the top three of their division receive prizes. In past years, winners have earned iPad minis or Nintendo DS handheld devices.

Internet access is permitted only for accessing select documentation websites, and only one laptop is allowed per team.

Sponsors of the competition include Stanford University, Google, Facebook, Apple and Dropbox.

Registration for ProCo closed on May 1. The event will begin at 8 a.m. in the Gates Computer Science Building at Stanford.

An online version of the contest will be available afterwards, although rankings and prizes will not be awarded to online participants.