TEDx: Speaker series links notables and students

TedX+members+Jeton+Gutierrez-Bujari+%2812%29++and+Shannon+Hong+%2811%29+introduce+last+years+speaker+series.+

Office of Communications

TedX members Jeton Gutierrez-Bujari (12) and Shannon Hong (11) introduce last year’s speaker series.

Harker’s annual TEDx event, a speaker series for high school and college students, will take place in Nichols Hall on March 21, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Speakers for this year’s event will include entrepreneur and author of “Secrets of Silicon Valley” Deborah Piscione, executive vice president of sales & marketing for Nintendo Cammie Dunaway, Partner at Faegre Baker Daniels law firm David Gross, student Samantha Madala (12) and Ajay Shah, founder of Technology Solutions Business of Solectron and Smart Modular Technologies.

“Our team came up with a long list of speakers divided into three sections: reach, match, and likely,” Director of Public Relations Shannon Hong (11) said, “After creating the list, we each contacted the people we suggested through phone call and email going down the tiered structure starting in first semester.”

The event is run by a group of 11 students who manage everything from curating the event to public relations and marketing, with support from Juston Glass, director of the Business and Entrepreneurship program, and Upper School club coordinator Eric Kallbrier.

“We [the students] handle inviting all the speakers, the booths, talking to administration about it, PR, marketing, operations — we handle almost everything,” Hong said.

General student tickets will be sold for $9.99 and VIP access tickets for $18.00. Attendees will receive a free T-shirt and Uber ride.

“If you sign up for TEDx early, you actually will be making money off of it,” Glass said. “It’s because of a special offering from a big sponsor.”

This year, TEDx will again feature a mentor luncheon, with over 30 professionals across many fields.

“I’m excited for the mentor luncheon,” Lucas Wang (10) said. By meeting with different mentors, I will be able to gain a better idea of what I will pursue after college.”

This year’s TEDx event will be serving breakfast at a mingling session from 8 to 8:45 a.m. and will include an activities session, where students can browse the various booths, play icebreakers and network.

The booths will be manned by a variety of companies, including Uber, NAACP, Song Abbey, ACTON Rocketskates, Change.org and Osmo.

“It’s going to be bigger, better, and stronger than last year for sure,” Glass said. “We have a great team. This team, now in their senior year, was the original TEDx team, so it’s very exciting to see them in a culminating event for their high school experience.”

Past speakers at the event have included Charles Huang, founder of Guitar Hero; Guy Kawasaki, former Chief Evangelist of Apple; and Jeff Jordan, former President and CEO of OpenTable.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 13, 2015.