Spring Sports look ahead to the upcoming season

Marita Del Alto (11) pitches during the softball teams game against Harbor High School on Mar. 5.

Aditya Varshney

Marita Del Alto (11) pitches during the softball team’s game against Harbor High School on Mar. 5.

Girls’ Lacrosse
Varsity lacrosse comes off a 15-4 win against York School on Mar. 6 after losing 20-3 in its season-opener against Mercy-Burlingame on Feb. 24.

Varsity lacrosse team captain Hannah Bollar’s (12) goal for this season is to build a strong team for the upcoming seasons after she and the other five seniors on the roster graduate. In spite of the team’s having lost veteran players and gained younger players, Hannah is confident that the team will improve this season.

Track and Field
Track and field had its second meet on Saturday, Mar. 7. Niki Iyer (10) set the school record again in the 3200m race.

According to Katy Rees, first year assistant coach and Upper School history teacher, many more students are participating in track and field this season.

“We definitely had a stronger turnout during February vacation than we’ve had in the past, which is great,” Rees said.

Due to the larger turnout this season, Rees expects the team to steadily improve overall.

Swimming
The Upper School swim team had its first meet on Mar. 11 against Crystal Springs and Mercy-Burlingame at Saratoga.

Coach Andrew Booth, who used to coach Lower School swimming, started coaching varsity swimming this season. Captain Delaney Martin (12) believes that participation has increased for the sport from an effort standpoint as well.

“Overall, I think a lot of people last year were casual about coming to practice everyday but this year, people have been coming to practice every day and really working hard to swim for all of practice,” she said. “With the change in coaches, we’ve had a more focused approach to commitment and coming to practice.”

Their next meet is on Mar. 25 at Sacred Heart Prep.

Boys’ Volleyball
The varsity boys’ volleyball played its season-opening game against Oak Grove High School at Blackford on Wednesday.

Sophomore Andrew Gu has noticed major differences between his two seasons on the high school team.

“This year we lost a lot of seniors, so we have to improve,” he said. “We have a lot of new freshmen who have never played before, a couple sophomores who haven’t played before.”

Apart from the changes in the roster, new varsity head coach Tristan Burton brings a different coaching style to the team.

“[Coach Burton is] really technical and emphasizes the fundamentals, making sure everyone has the right form and making sure we don’t learn anything wrong,” Andrew said.

Golf
Varsity golf earned a 192-202 away victory against Sacred Heart Prep on Mar. 4 at the Sharon Heights Golf and Country Club.

The team hopes to build on last year’s season, during which the team reached the second round of CCS and placed fifth overall in the tournament.

“My goals [for the team] are to get past CCS, win NorCals, and make it to states,” Colt McNealy (10) said.

This year, the team has fresh talent with nine new freshman golfers, so it has the potential to continue improving over the upcoming seasons as players gain experience.

Boys’ Baseball

The varsity baseball team practices at Blackford. The team started its season with a 12-1 victory against North Valley Baptist at Blackford on Feb. 27.
Aditya Varshney

Varsity baseball started its season with a 12-1 home victory against North Valley Baptist at Blackford on Feb. 27.
Varun Haltore (10) is excited for the baseball program’s expansion this year.

“Last year we had 12 to 13 guys. Now it’s up to 24. If we didn’t have to cut anyone, we could even have a JV. That’s a long way from last year,” he said. “We’re pretty hyped for this season. We have a lot of good guys and we have young guys so we are going to keep on growing.”

Girls’ Softball

The varsity girls’ softball team won its season opener 18-8 against Gunderson High School at Gunderson on Mar. 3.

Sarah Bean (12), who plays third base and is one of three captains of the softball team, believes that the team has improved significantly since the last spring season, which the team finished with just one win overall.

“At this point I think that we are definitely ahead of last year’s team,” Sarah said. “I think this team has solid potential.”

The team has seen significant growth to their size and look forward to a successful season.

Boys’ Tennis

The varsity boys’ tennis team faced its first set of matches at King’s Academy on Tuesday, Mar. 3.

Michael Zhao (11) believes that the large number of freshmen and sophomores playing varsity tennis this year will allow the program to continue growing.

“Our team this year is filled with freshmen and sophomores, which bodes well for the future of the program,” he said in an email interview. “Though this year, we have less people than previous years, we are excited by the interest of the underclassmen.”

Michael believes that the coaching staff, which now only has one team to concentrate on, will improve the players individually, lending to overall improvement for the team.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 13, 2015.