Deacon reflects on career as she leaves Harker

Sheridan Tobin

Former Director of Alumni Relations, MaryEllis Deacon, receives goodbye hugs from Dylan Patel (12), Justin Yen (12), and Nick Nguyen (12) following a senior sing-a-long in her honor on her last day. Deacon has been working at the Upper School campus as Director of Alumni Relations for the past four years.

With her dog as her only check- in bag, MaryEllis Deacon moved cross-country on Sept. 13, 2010 – her first day working at the Upper School. Wearing “corporate” high heels for her job as the special assistant to Executive Director of Advancement, she never anticipated the trajectory her career as Director of Alumni Relations would take.

“I was overwhelmed. I was obviously overdressed that first day. I think that I lived off pizza my first two weeks here,” she said. “But then, I remember we had the first golf tournament, and I saw the community come together. A month in, I had my first picnic, after that I had my first homecoming. It just kept snowballing.”

In addition to organizing alumni and senior class events, like the time capsules, senior gift, and Spirit Week activities, Deacon says the best part of her job is witnessing the growth of each senior from student to alumni.

“It feels like I went to high school with them,” she said. “I don’t have a classroom or a textbook to teach, but I get to see that progression. When we’re at senior trip, I see the ‘through Life’ part of ‘K through Life.’ It’s amazing to watch the kids just be kids. You get to look to the future. They want to change the world.”

Deacon was especially surprised by the level of personal interaction and connection she had with students.

“This job is like a Magic-8 ball – you shake it and never know what’s going to happen next,” she said. “Sometimes, there will be kids who just sit there and just spin my gumball machine to see if the pink or purple will win. Then there’s the prom stuff, the random questions, the kid who didn’t get into their dream school but isn’t upset because they realize that isn’t their path. Some come in to celebrate. I see them in a totally different light.”

Deacon cited personal reasons for her decision. “It is time for me to move on, there are a lot of reminders of Mr. Berry that make it kind of hard and it’s time to focus on moving forward,”she said. Though Tuesday was Deacon’s last day as the Director of Alumni Relations, she will still be doing the “behind-the-scenes” work for the Varsity boys’ basketball team, like being at practices and games, and making sure they all have their uniforms.

“Basketball is my outlet. It’s calming to me to watch plays and that chaos. Being in the gym is one of my favorite places,” she said. “I can say goodbye to this office because I know it will be handled well, but basketball has been part of me for so much longer so it’s difficult to be separated from that. Besides, I know the boys wouldn’t wear the right socks.”

Fourth-year basketball player Srivinay Irrinki (12) says that having Deacon stay as part of the basketball season will keep the basketball team’s journey smoother and more organized.

“Ms. Deacon is always so open and kind, and the fact that she will stay as part of our basketball team is very comforting,” he said. “She is very supportive and ensures we are always playing our best.”

Deacon says that working at Harker gave her the inspiration to push harder in her own endeavors. “I got an appreciation for life working here,” she said. “We get bogged down by so many to-do lists, but then you come here and there’s so much energy. It’s so youthful. I’ll miss ‘put the eagles up’ and the rallies, the little things that happen every day. All I can say is ‘thank you.’ Harker will always be a part of me.”

In terms of future plans, Deacon will be visiting family and friends before starting up with basketball again in November.

“I’ll still be around. I’m not walking away never too look back. I’m simply shutting this door only, just this office door.”

Board alumna and Harker parent Karri Baker (‘84) will serve as an interim alumni relations director on a part-time basis.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on October 17, 2014.