Freshmen vote for student council candidates

Maya Jeyendran

Freshmen line up to cast their votes for student council.

Freshmen voted for student council candidates at the journalism room this afternoon after listening to the candidates’ speeches.

Presidential candidates included Amy Jin, Jimmy Lin, Praveen Batra, Rajiv Movva and Randy Zhao, while Darren Gu ran unopposed for Vice President. Amy Dunphy, Brandon Mo, Divija Bhimaraju and Derek Kuo ran for Secretary. Treasurer candidates included Alex Wang and Justin Su, while Linus Li, Maxwell Woehrmann and Nirban Bhatia competed for Spirit Coordinator.

“I am definitely looking forward to being able to communicate with our class, take suggestions from students, work with the faculty, and also organize various spirit events.” Jimmy said.

Some candidates voiced their eagerness to connect with the student body and build more spirit.

“I am definitely looking forward to releasing the freshman class out of their shells,” Linus said. “It is no secret that our class seems to be the most shy and reserved when it comes to spirit events, and the mixture of wild, diverse personalities that our class boasts remains unrevealed by the preconceived notion that freshmen are naive and withdrawn.”

Faculty who helped out with the speeches also felt the candidates were dedicated and excited.

“I thought the speeches were quite good,” Class of 2018 Dean Victor Adler said. “Uniformly positive tenor. Brief.”

After their speeches, many student council candidates also expressed their excitement for being involved in the school.

“Harker is a really great place — great teachers, inclusive student community, stimulating classes,” Divija said. “I want to be as much a part of that as I can and get the opportunity to give back to the school.”

The results of the vote will be announced by Dr. Adler through an email by the end of school tomorrow.