Classes vote for final T-shirt designs after controversy and copyright issues

Arden Hu

Senior Nitya Mani browses through the final T-shirt designs on the class of 2015’s re-vote. All class T-shirts with final designs will be ordered next week.

Classes are finalizing T-shirts in a last round of voting for the most popular design after two weeks of submissions and preliminary voting.

The final round of voting for all classes took place on Thursday, with the exception of the senior class, which held another voting on Friday. With ideas ranging from Iggy Azalea to galactic sombreros, there has been talk around campus of the future of the class T-shirts, though not without some controversy and copyright issues.

After narrowing its choices down to two designs and participating in a vote, the Class of 2015 revoted. Due to the closeness of the previous vote, the 59 students who did not vote, and concerns that the front and back of the shirt did not match, the class council and deans called for the reopening of a vote on Athena. The new vote coupled front and back designs into single options. The heart of the controversy arose in clashing opinions about a design featuring a smiley drawn in Microsoft Paint.

caroline

While students and teachers echoed Caroline’s thoughts on the humor of the design, others noted the divide in opinion.

“I guess it’s pretty funny, and I think it’s a fun idea to be more whimsical with our senior shirt design because it’s our last year and all,” Sachin Peddada (12) said. “But I do think it’s a very polarizing design, because I can understand why some people would have a problem with having a really ‘silly’ design.”

Diana Moss, Class of 2015 Dean, remarked that there would always be a difference in preference for design but that she hoped all students of the class would take the time to vote.

“I have a closet full of yellow shirts, so I feel like it’s up to the kids. My biggest hope is that everyone will embrace the decision,” she said.

The Class of 2016 faced copyright infringement issues in their shirt designs. Designs incorporating franchise or artist names and images were against submission rules because by copyright law, usage of those images required permission from the copyright holder. In spite of the rules, some preliminary designs, such as that of Australian artist Iggy Azalea, ignored submission guidelines. As a result, such designs were disqualified and not added to the final voting process. Some students took humor in the situation by submitting a shirt reading “Copyright,” with the “i” and “g” replaced with a “16” to represent their class.

michael

The Classes of 2017 and 2018 also held their final votes this week.

The final T-shirt designs will be announced next week.