Fall Sports Preview

Maya+Valluru+%2810%29+follows+through+with+her+backhand.+Girls+Varsity+tennis++plays+their+first+game+on+September+11+against+Wilcox+High+School.+

KJ Mulam

Maya Valluru (10) follows through with her backhand. Girls Varsity tennis plays their first game on September 11 against Wilcox High School.

Varsity Water Polo

Varsity Boys and Varsity Girls Water Polo practice at Singh Aquatic Center. Both teams welcome many freshmen and look forward to working with the newcomers and watching the team grow.

“We’re trying to blend everyone’s talents,” Boys Head Coach Ted Ujifusa says. “It’s more an art than a science. Everybody brings different skill sets to the table, and it’s my job and Dr. Adler’s job to recognize those talents and utilize them.”

Many returning members continued to play on a club team after the end of last year’s season, helping them develop their skills as a player.

“Compared to past years, more players played on an outside of school club team over the summer, which will prove to be really helpful because it eliminates the time spent out of the pool,“ Delaney Baxter (12) said.

The boys team also welcomes assistant coach Peter Blume to the team from West Valley. Blume has worked in Harker’s learn-to-swim program at the lower school in addition to assisting the middle school water polo team.

The boys play their first game on Sept. 5 as part of Connolly Water Polo Tournament. Girls play on Sept. 6 against Notre Dame.

Varsity Girls Tennis

The Varsity Girls team coached by John Fruterro and assitant Hanna Pajunen practices at the Blackford tennis courts.

Maya Valluru (10) looks forward to the upcoming tennis season, especially for her first tournament of the season which is being held in Fresno. “My main goal for the season is to grow as a member of a team,” Maya said. “With the supportive and positive environment on the courts, I hope to learn a great deal from my fellow teammates.”

The team is facing some difficulties with a shortage of players, but remains optimistic for the upcoming season, striving to work hard together and being there to constantly support each other.

“We do have a shortage of players, but know that as a strong team working together, we can overcome that adversity with ease,” Maya said.

“I really hope the tennis team becomes a place everyone can go to whether they are feeling down or want to share a happy moment,” Arden Hu (12) added.

The team plays their first match on Sept. 11 against Wilcox High School.

Varsity Girls Golf

Varsity Girls’ Golf practices under Head Coach Ie-Chen Cheng at the Pruneridge, Los Lagos and the San Jose Municipal Golf Courses.

To prepare for the season, each player practiced under a summer workout plan that catered to their individual goals.

“The overarching goal [of the summer workout plan] was that the players work on their weaknesses to build confidence,” Cheng said.

Cheng looks forward to playing effectively together, especially building upon each other’s strengths.

“Every year is exciting and unique in its own way, because you have new players, so the dynamics of the team is different,” Cheng said. “If we invest in the process of getting better every day, having a great attitude, and challenging ourselves, the results will come. We don’t have many female golfers, but what we lack in quantity, we make up for in character and quality.”

The first game of the season is on Sept. 8 as part of the Helen Leng- feld Memorial Tournament at Poplar Creek Golf Course.

Varsity Girls Volleyball

After spending the summer conditioning under Head Coach Theresa Smith, Varsity Girls Volleyball officially began practice on Aug. 15.

Despite the graduation of four key players, the team is optimistic for their coming season and is prepared to face the challenges associated with the high turnover rate.

“I am looking forward to bonding with my teammates throughout the season and making new friends while playing a sport that I love,” Taylor Iantosca (10) said. “We have a lot of great players on the Varsity team, and there is no weakness, so I believe that it is going to be a great season.”

For returning members, assistant coach Scott Peterson says he plans on “setting small goals. Winning takes care of itself, if you do all the little things.”

The coaches hope to see the student body engage in and attend more games to support the girls this year as they compete for the league title.

The Girls Varsity Volleyball team plays its first game on Sept. 5 at Blackford against Homestead High School.

Varsity Cross Country

The Cross Country team began practice at Rancho San Antonio Park under the guidance of Head Coach Scott Chisam.

Chisam looks forward to the CCS championships, which the team has qualified for in the past.

This season will mark the end of a historic Harker record with the graduation of Corey Gonzales (12). Chisam notes that Corey will finish off “the best Harker career in school history this year.” He also hopes to see Corey defend his 2013 CCS championship and improve upon his state meet finish.

Chisam also expects to see rising sophomore star Niki Iyer win her second league championship title.

“This year, coming off of a great season, I feel a lot more experienced and ready going into this one,” Niki said.

After recovering from a tibia stress fracture over the summer, Niki learned the best skills to cope with the injury from fellow Cross Country runner Corey Gonzales.

Cross country athletes will run their first meet on September 4 at Gunn High School as part of the Gunn High School Alumni Run.

Varsity Football

Despite coming off a year rife with injuries, Varsity Football team remains optimistic for the upcoming season.

The team is led by Head Coach Ron Forbes and assistant coaches Mike Tirabassi, Will Kapp, and Jeff Paul.

During the summer, the team completed a program focusing on both offensive and defensive strategies. The summer practices allowed returning and new players to bond and connect both on and off the field.

“We always stress that we are a family and we act as so,” Johnathon Keller (11) said. “We did everything together and even did some team bonding field trips such as go to San Jose Sabercats games.”

Though the team faced some challenges last year with a lack of players, they see the chance to grow back to fielding an 11-man team this year.

“The phrase ‘rebuilding season’ might imply a losing season, but it’s quite the contrary,” Nikhil Ramgiri (11) said. “This year will be a transitional year, as the current makeup of the team is considerably deeper than past football teams. This year will be remembered as the beginning of a dynasty.”

The team plays their first game on Aug. 29 against St. Francis-Watsonville. The Homecoming Game will be on Oct. 4.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on August 29, 2014.