Spring Update

Spring Update

wikimedia

Upper School Varsity athletes are swinging, putting, and setting their way through spring sports which are now nearing the end of season. This season highlighted Varsity Track & Field, Varsity Swimming, Varsity Lacrosse, Varsity Softball, Varsity Baseball, Varsity Boys’ Tennis, Varsity Boys’ Golf, and Varsity Boys’ Volleyball.  The Eagles had a great season this year with some teams and individual members qualifying for CCS.

Boys’ Golf

Finishing with a 9-1 league record, Boys’ Varsity golf has had a history-making season as co-league champions. Their sole league loss this season was to rival Sacred Heart Prep, whom Harker split the league championship. The highlight of team’s season was their showdown against Menlo, another league rival. The Eagles edged the Knights 208-209, with Avi Khemani (9) sinking an eight-footer to seal the victory. The boys then placed second in the WBAL league finals and secured a berth into the CCS Championships. “We’ve practiced everyday, and our scores have constantly decreased. We’ve been playing better, and because of that, we’ve advanced further,” Avi said.

Boys’ Tennis

Varsity tennis finished their season with a 8-8 seasonal record. This year’s team increased in size considerably with plenty of freshmen joining the Junior Varsity and Varsity teams. “We didn’t make CCS, but we were the best team who didn’t make it. We had a lot of freshmen this year, so it was a new experience for a lot of us. We’re losing one senior this year, so most of us are going to stay, and I think that will help with our progress and improvement over the coming years,” Varsity player Edward Tischler (9) said.

Girls’ Lacrosse

Girls’ Varsity lacrosse has tremendously improved this season with the team finishing at a 7-11 in league. The varsity team finished at second in the league. Due to the rising number of players especially in the freshman class, the Lacrosse team split up into Varsity and Junior Varsity divisions this year. “[The junior varsity team] really allowed us to bond with other people who are at our experience level rather than people who were already better than us. It motivated us,” said freshman junior varsity player Aditi Maheshwari. The new junior varsity team is an all-freshman team. Two new coaches also helped the teams reach their success. “In terms of wins, this is probably our second-most successful season, but I think we’ve played better as a team this year than any other year,” Mabel Luo (12) said. “We’ve been utilizing so many plays, both old and new, and we’ve really made sure that every player on the team plays her role in each game.” With more players on the team, team captains, Mabel and Christine Lee (12), think that the teams have been able to bond more and focus on separate skills to improve. While the team has improved in the game, Christine believes that a positive attitude is the most important factor of the team’s success. “Playing sports is as much a physical competition as it is a mental battle,” Christine said. “Going into games with smiles on our faces and being as loud as possible really gets us excited and ready to take on our rivals.” With wins against Mercy-Burlingame, Woodside, and Santa Catalina, the varsity squad looks to improve even more next year. “The season’s gone great. The girls have really improved. The JV team has really impressed me, and I’m really excited about the future of the program,” Varsity Girls’ head coach Andrew Irvine said.

Boys’ Baseball

Varsity baseball reached the end of their playing season, closing out with a 3-22 overall record led by captain Varun Kamat (12). “We’ve improved a lot. Beginning of the season, we would lose by a huge margin, we would get mercy-ruled all the time, but now we’re getting closer and closer games,” said freshman player Varun Haltore. The highlight of the team’s season was their game against Woodside Priory, where they lost a nail biter by an extremely close score of 7-8 against their rivals.

Boys’ Volleyball

Boys’ Varsity volleyball, currently ranked eighth in all of CCS, ended their season with a record of 7-8. The highlight of the team’s season would be their third place finish at the Monta Vista tournament, with wins against teams such as Valley Christian and Los Altos. “The boys are working hard and getting better every day. We look at where we started to where we are now, and we are currently among the area’s best teams,” said boys’ varsity head coach and upper school athletic director Dan Molin. The boys look to make a deep run in the CCS playoffs.

Girls’ Softball

Varsity softball closes out their season with a 1-15 overall record. This year, the girls’ team was led by captains Sarah Bean (11), Alisa Wakita (10), and Vivian Isenberg (11). There were no seniors on the team, and the team’s previous pitcher graduated, so some players were assigned to new positions and had to adjust. “It’s been kind of a rough season. We’re a fairly young team with no seniors on the team this year,” said Varsity coach Raul Rios. “We took our lumps in the beginning of the season, but towards the end of season, we are getting a lot stronger.” Highlights of the girls’ season include a 16-4 win by the Eagles against Andrew Hill High School.

Swimming 

Caption for Swimming Pic: Kimberly Ma (12) swims the butterfly. Kimberly qualified for the CCS meet which will be held on May 29.

With the girls currently at a 7-3 record in league and the boys maintaining a 3-3 record, Varsity swimming has qualified almost every swimmer into the WBAL league finals. Victories have included the defeats of King’s Academy and Pinewood. Another major meet was the Eagles’ matchup against league powerhouse, Menlo School. “I believe that we can further persevere as we head into the league championships to score a victory for both the boys’ varsity and girls’ varsity to end the season strong,” said Varsity Boys’ swimmer Leon Chin (11).

Track and Field

Calvin Kocienda (10) leaps over a hurdle during practice. The varsity track and field team had a record-breaking season this spring.

Varsity track and field is nearing the end of a historical season, with several school records in both running and field events. Some new school records include Niki Iyer (9) in the 1600 meter, Wei Wei Buchsteiner (12) in the high jump for boys, and Julia Wang (11) in the discus. Several freshmen and sophomores were also eligible to compete in CCS Top 8. “The good thing about this year’s track team is that we are very young. We have a lot of very good freshmen and sophomores, and that bodes very well for the future,” said track and field coach Scott Chisam.