Classes hold election speeches for voting tomorrow

Jonathan Dai

Class Vice President candidate Ankita Sharma (10) presents her electoral speech at today’s class meeting using a metaphor of a potato and carrot to relate to the class. Voting will be held during both lunches tomorrow.

With student council elections coming up tomorrow, candidates presented their speeches to their respective classes today.

While the seniors learned about graduation, the other classes listened to their student council candidates introduce their ideas and opinions for the future.

For the freshman class, the President, Vice President, and Secretary all ran unopposed, while the positions of Spirit Coordinator and Treasurer had multiple candidates. Ray Song (9), class of 2017 Treasurer candidate, ran for student council for the first time. He was inspired to run for Treasurer after seeing Shikhar Dixit (11) run for ASB Secretary.

“I’ve always had this idea to run, but I wasn’t sure at the time,”he explained. “Shiki showed me that he really wanted to do something for the class and then he went for it.”

While it was his first speech, Song was still pleased with the outcome, he was glad that his class was able to hear his ideas.

On the other hand, sophomore Edward Sheu, returning candidate and current Spirit Coordinator, felt the pressure of having to say his speech after other candidates.

“With speeches going before you, you feel the need to perform at the same level if not higher of those who went before you,” he said.

Only the Vice President, Spirit Coordinator, and Treasurer candidates had to present their speeches as the unopposed President and Secretary had given their speeches during class meeting yesterday.

“[Candidates] were very enthusiastic. There were definitely [speeches] that stood out,” Aarti Kheskani (10) said.

For example, Vice President candidate Ankita Sharma (10) incorporated root vegetables into her speech by comparing the sophomore class to carrots and potatoes, even bringing a carrot and potato as props for today. She was inspired by dinner the night she was writing her speech.

“I was hungry at the same time and started thinking about having roasted veggies for dinner and then I got to the idea that our class was vegetative…When I started writing my speech, this entire analogy to do with vegetables came out,” she said.

The juniors, with the majority of their class council now newly elected ASB members, experienced an increase in candidates. The speeches began yesterday with President and Vice President and finished today with the remaining position candidates. Spirit Coordinator candidate Arjun Ashok (11) decided to run not because of the opening spots,but because of his true passion for spirit.

“I ran for spirit coordinator because I wanted to try to make senior year the best it can be,” he said. “I love the class and being able to run for a position that involves like bonding or what not really appealed to me.”

Voting begins tomorrow during both lunches with the addition of voting on changing class colors.