SPIRIT WEEK: Spring rally

Spirit Club hosts annual Spring Rally

Megy Appalaraju

The freshman class participates in the traditional “scream off,” in which they placed third.

The freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors gathered on Davis field today to compete in a variety of class events in the annual spring spirit rally.

The rally started off with a cheerleading routine and dances from the freshmen and sophomore classes with their respective themes of Oldies-Disco and Disney-Indie.

These events were followed by the “scream-off,” the student council relay race, and a performance of “Pompeii” by Bastille from jazz band, featuring lead singer Julia Wang (11).

all

“The relay race was hilarious especially when the class presidents threw the cheese balls on the ASB officers’ faces covered with whipped cream,” said Spirit member Leon Chin (11).

Though the junior class dance was intended to come next in the afternoon’s lineup, technical sound issues interfered, and the senior class stepped in to show off their tribal-jazz dance. A performance from the Junior Varsity Dance Troupe and the juniors’ Bollywood and mariachi routine concluded the afternoon’s events.

Dancer and co-choreographer for the junior class, Savi Joshi, felt that it was lucky that her class chose the same theme of Bollywood two years in a row.

“I absolutely love Bollywood and really enjoyed doing it for a second year. I also loved choreographing with Anokhi and Nikita,” said Savi. “We felt really constrained on time and put the dance together last minute, but it seems to have gone pretty well anyways.”

Students were not the only ones involved in the afternoon’s festivities. Faculty members appeared in the class dances and assisted with covering student council members with whipped cream for the relay race. The race began with the task of filling up a cup of water on a student’s head from a bucket with only a sponge. Next, student council participants were required to throw a lacrosse ball back and forth before throwing cheese puffs at the whipped creamed faces of the ASB government.

The third grade eagle buddies joined the sophomore class for the rally today and even took part in the screaming competition, a favorite for many students.

Senior Mabel Luo congratulates her class on their performances at the rally.

“I think that the seniors were amazing. My favorite parts of the rally were the scream off and the end of the senior dance because we got everyone involved and put up a really unified show,” she said.

After the organized performances had concluded, the students and faculty came together to dance on the field to the song “Happy” by Pharrell Williams, an event that occurred on all four campuses, including Harker preschool.

At the beginning of the event, emcee and chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine and the spirit co-Presidents, Katy Sanchez (11) and Julia Wang (11), announced that the Spirit week standings showed the junior class in the lead, followed by the seniors and sophomores tied for second, and the freshmen in last place.

The final class rankings will be announced at Monday’s school meeting.