Spring Sports Update

Boys+varsity+swimmers+start+off+their+events+with+a+dive+in+their+meet+against+Kings+Academy.+Swimming+is+one+of+eight+varsity+spring+sports.+

Kacey Fang

Boys varsity swimmers start off their events with a dive in their meet against King’s Academy. Swimming is one of eight varsity spring sports.

Upper School Varsity athletes are swinging, putting, and setting their way through spring sports which are now midway through season. This season will highlight Varsity Track & Field, Varsity Swimming, Varsity Lacrosse, Varsity Softball, Varsity Baseball, Varsity Boys’ Tennis, Varsity Boys’ Golf, and Varsity Boys’ Volleyball.  Practices, scrimmages, and league games are in full swing, so make sure to come out to support the Eagles!

Swimming

The Varsity swim team dove into a rigorous season with the start of practice at Singh Aquatic Center on Feb. 3.

The team practices under Head Coach Ronni Gautschi and Asst. Coach Alisha Garcia.

“I think we really want our boys to make CCS,” Gautschi said. “I think every meet we’ve had multiple improvements and that’s huge for me.”

Some swimmers this season are water polo players hoping to stay in shape and increase their skills. Sophomore Yasemin Narin, who also plays water polo in the fall, wants to “becom[e] faster in the water” and “improve [her] sprint times” this season.

The team will compete in a home meet against Sacred Heart Prep on Wednesday, April 23, at 4 p.m.

Softball

Under the guidance of Head Coach Raul Rios, practice for Varsity Girls Softball officially started February 3rd at the Blackford Campus Baseball Diamond.

The team lost a significant number of members with the graduation of the Class of 2013 and are looking at a senior-less season.

Captains for the team include Vivian Isenberg (11), Sarah Bean (11), and Alisa Wakita (10).

“Our first win of the season was Wednesday over Andrew Hill, and I think that it really will get our momentum going as we start getting into league play,” Tong Wu (10) said.

The team has an overall score of 1-6 and is at 0-1 in league.

Their next home game, which takes place after spring break, is against Mercy Burlingame on Tuesday, April 15, at 4 p.m.

Boys Volleyball

Kavya Ramakrishnan

Currently at 9-2 overall and at 3-1 in league, the Varsity boys’ volleyball team is progressing swiftly through its season.

The boys are led by Head Coach Dan Molin, the Upper School Athletic Director, and Asst. Coach Mike Aitken. Andrew Zhu (12) is the team captain for this season.

“I’m really looking forward to having a strong team that will make and do really good in CCS,” Shikhar Dixit (11) said. “I hope to improve as a player and become closer to my fellow volleyball family.”

Varsity Boys’ Volleyball plays Pescadero High School this Thursday, April 4, at 4 p.m. in the Blackford gym.

Boys Tennis

The Varsity Boys Tennis team has been practicing daily at Blackford under the leadership of Head Coach John Fruterro and Asst. Coach Hanna Pajujen.

“We’re doing pretty well as a team, considering last year we were stronger in terms of doubles and singles,” John Dobrota (11) said. “It’s pretty nice and we’ve won quite some matches.”

Late February marked the beginning of practice for the team, which hosts Kevin Xue (12) as the only senior.

The team faces Pinewood in a math after spring break on Tuesday, April 15, in an away game at 4 p.m.

Boys Golf

Competing in tournaments to invitationals and at golf courses to country clubs, the Varsity Boys’ Golf team has so far had an active spring season.

“The highlight of the season so far would probably be when we shot even par at Poplar Creek,” Dakota McNealy(10) said. “We really want to win league and try to go to states.”

The team is coached by Ie-Chen Cheng, and as of publication has no seniors. Srish Dwivedi and Nikhil Reddy, both juniors, are captains.

The boys’ golf team will play in the Champions Invitational Golf Tournament today and tomorrow at Terra Lago Golf Club.

Track & Field

Kavya Ramakrishnan

Students participating in Varsity Track & Field practice at Blackford under Head Coach Brent Woodcock and Asst. Coaches Scott Chisam and Mike Bassoni.

The team captain is Claudia Tischler (12). 42 boys and 14 girls are on this year’s team, a larger roster than that of any other spring sport.

“Our numbers have improved, and the attendance/commitment has improved,” Chisam said. “School records have already been broken or tied, with several more in danger of falling.”

The qualifying meet for the CCS Championships will be the WBAL League Championships in May, where Chisam hopes to send 12 students.

The track team will compete at St. Francis High School at the St. Francis Invitational on Saturday, Mar. 15 at 8 a.m.

Lacrosse

The Varsity girls’ lacrosse team, practicing under coach and chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine, is currently well into their spring season. The girls began daily practice on Feb. 4 at the Blackford campus, moving to Davis Field after the winter soccer season finished.

With about 35-40 people signed up to play, the team has split into JV and Varsity for the first time in the program’s history.

“We have a great class of freshman so having our first JV team has been awesome,” Elizabeth Edwards (10) said. “It’s been great to see the team improve.”

The lacrosse girls are at 1-7 overall, so far having scored one 14-11 win against Santa Catalina.

The team plays Woodside today on Davis Field at 4 p.m.

Baseball

After launching into the season with a series of scrimmages, the Varsity Baseball team is currently well into league play.

Varsity Baseball plays under Head Coach Mike Delfino, and is led by the sole senior and captain Varun Kamat.

The team began practice at Blackford on Feb. 3. Currently 0-8 overall and 0-4 in league, the boys face Livermore Valley Prep at a home game tomorrow at 4 p.m.