Senior privileges begin after Spring Break

Seniors can soon make use of open campus policy

The administration will enforce senior privileges to the Class of 2014 starting the week of April 14.

Senior privileges are a set of rules that apply only to the senior class. Seniors will request their desired privileges prior to spring break, and depending on approval by Head of the Upper School Butch Keller, the seniors are granted specific benefits in their last quarter as high school students.

“What’s a closed campus for everyone else becomes an open campus for seniors,” said Dean of Students Kevin Williamson.

The privileges, according to Williamson, vary each year. This year, the senior lounge, called the “Sledge,” has been open for a longer period of time compared to that of past years. The most requested privilege is leaving campus during the academic school day.

“Senior privileges are cool because they give us a lot more freedom and options during the school day,” Allen Chen (12) said.

Allen, who has one free period, specifically noted the luxury an open campus policy gives him to go out and buy food.

To leave campus, seniors must change their current school ID to a new red ID at Dobbins office. Students must turn in a completed permission slip with a parent’s signature to be issued a red ID. They will show the security guard that new red ID and only then are they allowed to leave campus.

“The privileges are great because I’m sure every senior feels like they’ve put in so much work for three years and now as a second semester senior, it feel like we have done our time and now we can finally enjoy high school,” Sean Pan (12) said.

These privileges do not come without responsibility. The sole rule is returning to campus tardy.

“You are going to lose that privilege if you leave campus and come back late for a class,” Williamson said.

Seniors who abuse their senior privileges will receive disciplinary consequences, including Saturday Fives. The privileges may be revoked if seniors depart from the school without permission or miss their next obligation after leaving campus.

s

I’m really excited for senior privileges because we get off campus for lunch and it gives us more freedom during the day.

— Sahithya Prakash (12)

Senior privileges are great because now I can leave school in the middle of the day to get Burger King.

— Varun Cherukuri (12)

v

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on April 4, 2014