Interact members raise money for Afghan refugees

Alex Jang

Kevina Xiao (10) and Dora Tzeng (12) help Ayla Ekici (10) as she orders frozen yogurt. Toppings included gummy worms and M&M’S.

Interact members will sell goods to students and faculty this week in order to raise money to buy solar-powered ovens for refugees in Afghanistan.

As part of Interact district 5170, the Upper School chapter will try to raise $1,000 to purchase 5170 ovens for the refugees. District 5170, which is one of the world’s biggest Interact districts and includes other local schools such as Bellarmine College Preparatory and Archbishop Mitty High School, chose this project as its annual international project.

“We hope to raise a lot of money because we’re donating all this money for a good cause,” activities coordinator Kevina Xiao (10) said.

Interact members met over the weekend to bake treats for their club week. The club will offer chocolate hazelnut and original flavored Pinkberry frozen yogurt with unlimited toppings for $5. These baked goods, including “Alancookies” made from alumnus Alan Soetikno’s (‘13) recipe, will be sold for various prices throughout the week. Additionally, DIY and custom-made iPhone cases will be on sale for $5.

The club will also have cookie pies with ice cream for sale this Friday in order to commemorate Pi Day.

Selling iPhone cases is a new idea that Interact officers came up with this year.

“Last year, we did Five Guys, and this year we’re doing the iPhone cases,” co-president Dora Tzeng (12) said. “Hopefully we’ll see how that turns out.”

Those interested in buying a case could choose to decorate their own plain iPhone cases or purchase a pre-decorated one.

“I felt like the phone cases looked really nice and also, it’s for a good reason because they’re helping the people in Afghanistan,” sophomore Karen Qi said.

Sophomore Edward Sheu agreed with Karen, deeming the provision of solar-powered ovens to Afghan refugees a good cause.

“I guess [people] don’t realize that people [in Afghanistan] need something to cook food with,” Edward said. “It’s an addition to their life comforts, which is something that’s often looked over in places of turmoil and poverty.”

The Interact baked goods, frozen yogurt, and iPhone case sales are located by the tables in front of Manzanita Hall.