JNHS kicks off festivities for Japan Week

Shannon Su

The Japanese National Honor Society helps students make rice balls during lunch as today’s feature Japan Week activity.

In honor of Japan Week, the Japanese National Honor Society (JNHS) will host a series of activities to celebrate Japanese heritage this week, Feb. 24 to 28.

Members of JNHS hope that the various forms of entertainment in the Society’s first big event of the year will help with team building, as students work together and have fun, according to advisor Keiko Irino.

“We are hoping to share some aspects of Japanese culture with the Harker community in the hopes that they can see, appreciate, and most of all, enjoy some of what Japan has to offer,” Irino said.

To kick off the festivities, the Society met during both lunches at the covered dining area between the main dining hall and the Edge to make “onigiri,” or rice balls. After demonstrating how to make the rice balls, JNHS members then allowed other students to join and construct their own onigiri.

“I thought [the onigiri] was a good idea, and I know a lot of my friends really liked it because it involved food,” Annie Zhou (10) said. “Since they were made by students it was more enjoyable.”

Tables will be set up tomorrow for students to attempt Japanese calligraphy. No prior practice with the art is required as JNHS member will assist inexperienced participants.

Anime Day on Wednesday will feature a showing of My Neighbor Totoro, an animated Japanese children’s tale directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Those who wish to view the production may join JNHS in the gym during long lunch.

JNHS makes onigiri, rice balls, during lunch in honor of Japan Week.

“I’m considering going because it definitely seems like a fun, new thing to do,” Nick Nguyen (11) said. “I’ve never watched a Japanese animated film before so it would be interesting to see what it is like.”

The week will end with origami on Thursday and Japanese Sweets Day on Friday. The first will provide students the opportunity to experiment with origami paper and attempt to make cranes, frogs, and other structures, whereas the latter will feature Taiyaki, Japanese fish-shaped cake, for lunch at the dining area between the main dining hall and the Edge.

“I really hope that the good vibes, enthusiasm, and momentum from today will continue on throughout the week,” President Kimberly Ma (12) said. “We really do want to give Harker a taste of Japan and just how great a foreign culture can be.”

All events by JNHS for Japan Week will be held during both lunches on their respective days and long lunch on Wednesday.