Record-breaking cold weather in the Bay Area

Shay Lari-Hosain

Sophomores Lev Sepetov and Chandler Nelson cope with the icy weather this week by bundling up and drinking hot beverages. Last week has seen record drops in temperatures in the Bay Area.

“Sweater weather is better weather!” exclaims sophomore Chandler Nelson.

Students returned from Thanksgiving break to encounter inclement weather conditions, as the Bay Area has continued to witness unusually chilly temperatures in the last week.

The San Jose Mercury News reported on Dec. 4 that San Jose is experiencing the lowest temperatures in more than forty years. Temperatures reached a low of 27 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday.

The National Weather Service (NWS) issued a Freeze Warning today, reporting that a cold air mass will remain over the San Jose and Santa Clara area through Wednesday morning.

The NWS defines a warning as a long duration of near and below freezing temperatures that can harm outdoor pets and sensitive plants, and possibly cause unprotected water pipes to burst. For those out at night, there will be an increased risk of hypothermia.

The warnings will take effect from 10 p.m. tonight through 9 a.m. tomorrow morning.

With temperatures plummeting to abnormal lows this week, students had much to say about the icy weather enveloping the Bay Area.

“I absolutely hate cold weather. I’m a summer person. I’ve just been piling on layers,” William Deng (12) said. “This is, I think, one of the colder winters that California has experienced.”

In contrast, Glenn Reddy (11) welcomed the cold weather as a change to break the monotony of ordinary California weather.

“I’m definitely stocking up on my winter accessories.  Accessorizing with the scarves and the fingerless gloves and all that jazz. It is a lot of fun,” he said. “It’s really easy to look classy when it’s cold outside. When it’s hot you’re stuck wearing a bro tank.”

Similarly, Jeton Gutierrez-Bujari (11) found the cooler weather refreshing.

“The sun is out, [it’s] still California-style weather; just a little bit colder,” he observed.

While the sun has been out, the highs have merely reached 50 degrees Fahrenheit on average.

Other students thought of unusual weather as a benefit in order to grow accustomed to conditions prevalent in other regions of the country, referring to the fact that many may leave California for a college education.

“[The climate] was irritating because I was looking forward to a nice, normal winter, but I think it’s a thing we should all get used to, especially [since] a lot of us are going to college,” Abhinav Ketineni (10) said.

In any case, students may not have to remain perturbed, as the NWS predicts a warming trend, anticipating temperatures later this week to be “at or above seasonable levels.”