DECA reserves November screening of Catching Fire

Signs indicating locations of ticket sales and other information about next Friday’s screening can be found around campus this week. DECA will be selling tickets for 11 dollars for DECA members and 12 dollars for everyone else in the Edge.

The DECA club will hold a reserved screening of Catching Fire, the second movie in the widely popular Hunger Games series, on Friday, Nov. 22.

DECA is a 60-year-old international organization encouraging and preparing high school and college students for careers in business, finance, and management. This event is commemorating November as DECA month to promote student interest in business in schools and communities worldwide.

DECA, also known as HBC (Harker’s Business Club), is renting out a theater on the opening day of Catching Fire to provide students with an opportunity to socialize as a school and also raise awareness for the club.

“November is DECA Month, and we really wanted a way to integrate DECA with the Harker community into one social event so we chose to watch a movie,” DECA officer, Savi Joshi (11) said. “Quite a few people have bought tickets already, and I think a lot more people are planning to, which is great. Hopefully, we will have a full theater.”

The event was announced at Monday’s school meeting after previewing a short trailer of the film and has received positive responses from already high ticket sales and excitement from students. Along with the social event, many students look forward to watching the film itself, which follows the release of the box office hit of the first “Hunger Games” movie in March 2012.

“I think the event is good for Harker students to go enjoy a good movie and spend time together as a bonding experience. Also, it might even encourage new members to join DECA,” member Lekha Chirala (11) said.

Tickets are on sale during both lunch periods in Manzanita. They are priced at 11 dollars for DECA members and 12 dollars for other students, but prices will increase next week. The screening will take place at 5:30 p.m. next Friday. There is a bus that will leave campus at 4:45 p.m., but seating is limited so reserve a spot by picking up a form at the ticket sale table.