Junior trip rescheduled due to weather

Instead of kayaking or sailing, juniors remained at school today due to the cancellation of their class trip. The trip will be rescheduled for Oct. 9.

The junior class sailing and kayaking trip, planned for today, was cancelled by an email sent out Friday afternoon due to the stormy weather in Japan.

Tropical Storm Man-yi hit Japan last week, leaving widespread damage throughout the archipelago. This storm greatly increased the energy of waves in the ocean; the waves are expected to hit the California coastline Monday. The administration decided that the weather patterns in Japan created a threat to the safety of the students kayaking or sailing in the Bay.

Many juniors, including Class president Sarah Bean, expressed discontent over the cancellation of the trip.

“I’m pretty disappointed that it was cancelled, but I know it was cancelled for the best,” she said. “We wouldn’t want to go and do something that is not safe.”

Like Sarah, Arjun Ashok (11) was disappointed in the cancellation of trip because he was looking forward to spending time with his advisory away from the classroom.

“It would have been a fun way to bond with my advisory,” Arjun said. “Now that they cancelled it, I’m kind of miffed by it right now because I was expecting to have a fun Monday rather than coming to school and having to learn.”

The short notice in change of plans forced teachers both going on the trip and teaching classes consisting mostly of juniors to come up with a lesson plan for Monday.

“As an advisor, I am sad not to have this important time with my advisees,” said Math teacher, Jane Keller. “As a teacher, it just means that we have to adjust. Flexibility goes with the territory of teaching.”

After the cancellation of the trip, the administration rescheduled the trip for Wednesday Oct. 9.

“I’m really happy that it got rescheduled so soon so that we wouldn’t have to wait for a long time,” Nicholas Nguyen (11) said. “It’s a really good chance to bond with our advisories and just have a relaxing day, away from all the hard work we do at school, such as studying for vocab.”

All details regarding the original trip will remain the same, simply shifted back a week and a half.