Classes display floats in annual Homecoming week parade

The Parade included a performance by jazz band, led by director Chris Florio. Jazz band performed two songs and featured students from all grades.

Homecoming week’s annual “Panoply of Chaos” spirit parade led by Spirit Club advisor, Grand Marshal Andrew Irvine displayed each class’ floats during long lunch yesterday.

The parade ran from Manzanita Hall to Nichols Hall and featured a lively performance by jazz band, running commentary by Irvine, and exhibiting the class floats. It was rounded out with a procession by DECA members and advisor Juston Glass.

The freshman class float resembled a castle and was accentuated by a display of smoke generated by dry ice. The sophomore class float, which was decorated with cotton fluff and Care Bears, followed. A TV float by the juniors was decorated with cutouts from various popular reality TV shows, complete with an actual monitor with a video playing. The senior class float, which included a rotating platform with Spiderman and buildings placed on it, concluded the parade.

To freshman for whom the parade was a new experience, the showing of class pride through displaying the floats provided a preview for the Homecoming festivities that will take place Friday.

“It was a lot of fun and the music was really upbeat,” Michael Jin, a jazz band member, said. “Everyone seemed like they were in a good mood. It was a good time for everyone.”

Sophomore class President Michael Zhao agreed, but also felt the float was a tough task.

“The float is one of the most challenging parts of Homecoming preparation,” he said. “You need to understand the mechanics, you need to be able to actually build things, and I think that all these factors contribute to the uniqueness but difficulty of the float.”

Upcoming events to look forward to during the rest of the week include Friday’s annual homecoming rally followed by the homecoming game and dance.