Filed under News, Online Exclusive

LIFE kicks off the first assemblies of the year

Members+of+the+junior+class+raise+their+arms+in+the+shape+of+a+tree+during+a+game+in+their+Thursday+LIFE+session.+The+representatives+from+Youth+Empowerment+Seminar+used+this+game+to+make+students+focus.+
Members of the junior class raise their arms in the shape of a tree during a game in their Thursday LIFE session. The representatives from Youth Empowerment Seminar used this game to make students focus.

Cheryl Liu

Cheryl Liu

The junior, sophomore, and freshman classes gathered in the atrium, auditorium, and the gym respectively for their LIFE assemblies, while the seniors met with their eagle buddies today.

The junior class attended an interactive presentation by representatives from the organization, Youth Empowerment Seminar (YES). The speakers, through a series of games, taught students methods of relaxation by focusing their minds and controlling their breathing

In the first game, students stood behind a line and jumped back and forth across it as a YES representative called out where they should jump. It was a test of focus as the representative would often try to trick students by calling out two of the same commands successively, causing some students to jump when they were not supposed to. The other games that followed were similar tests of focus and concentration along with the introduction of breathing techniques that promote relaxation and raise energy levels.

Some students thought that it was not anything new. Rahul Jayaraman (11) already does deep breathing exercises when he is stressed, so he doesn’t feel that what they said will change his routine.

“The presentation was interesting because the speakers tried to connect with us by making us play games and demonstrating to us the various breathing techniques,” Rahul said.

On the other hand, the sophomores went to an presentation by Diane Main, Assistant Director of Instructional Technology. She discussed staying on task by decreasing use of technology and social networking. She also discussed maintaining a reputation online. The students found this more engaging than the typical internet safety lectures they heard last year.

Main started off talking about the importance of not having screen time before sleep and the mental effects staring at a computer. She then transitioned to teaching the importance of having an online profile. Throughout her presentation, she created amusement with her jokes and sense of humor

“It was more successful than usual digital safety type assemblies because Ms. Maine delivered her presentation in a more humourous manner. It was more fun to listen to,” said Naomi Molin, sophomore LIFE Board member.

Meanwhile, the freshmen class filled out a survey on how much time they spent on homework, sleep, and other activities, as well as what they define as success. Then, a senior panel talked to them about what they would have wanted to know as freshmen.

Regardless of what their LIFE assemblies were about, most students enjoyed the deviance from the usual school day and their regular classes.