New clubs vie for attention at annual Club Fair

Justin+Young+%2812%29%2C+president+of+the+Innovation+Club%2C+explains+the+purpose+of+his+club+to+newcomers%2C+hoping+to+recruit+new+members+to+compete+in+Inventeams.+The+annual+Club+Fair+allowed+many+different+clubs+to+promote+their+clubs+and+let+students+sign+up+for+the+ones+that+interested+them+the+most.++
Justin Young (12), president of the Innovation Club, explains the purpose of his club to newcomers, hoping to recruit new members to compete in Inventeams. The annual Club Fair allowed many different clubs to promote their clubs and let students sign up for the ones that interested them the most.

Bells jangled as members of Guy’s Gig ran around the gym, weaving through the throng of students. Stations set up with eye catching posters, bright lights, bubbles, and candy lined the walls. Students of all grades gathered together, smiles on their faces, relishing in the excitement of all the opportunities around them during the annual club fair today.

This year, many new clubs were formed, bringing the number of clubs to a total of fifty seven. There were so many clubs that, for the first time, tables had to be set out into the quad in order to accommodate all of them.

Of the many new clubs, some that attracted many members were the Technology Student Association (TSA), Make a Birthday Wish Club, Innovation Club, and Amnesty International Club. Each of these clubs set up a poster board in the gym alongside more established clubs to inform students about what the club was about as well as the purpose of the club.

TSA allows students to compete in technology related events, thus promoting interest in science, technology, engineering, and math. This club, a “techy version of DECA,” has high hopes to help students develop their talents and pursue national awards.

“Besides being a really good way to take the initiative in promoting STEM, we hope to expand the club and have people place in the statewide and national competitions,” TSA president Sophia Luo (10) said.

The high flying balloons and bright Make a Birthday Wish poster attracted many new members to join. Their purpose is to throw the best possible birthday parties for less fortunate children who may not receive much attention on their special day.

“Birthday parties are a huge deal for almost everyone, especially kids, and being responsible for making something possible that would not have happened without this organization is amazing and I’m really happy to be a part of it, club officer Darby Millard (11) said.

Another sight in the gym was the bright blue poster and stack of candy of Innovation club, a new club that aims to foster the spirit of innovation and invention. The club members form teams and use creativity to produce a marketable product that tackles real world issues. They aim to win Inventeams again, so Harker can get the grant to continue receiving research funding.

“What prompted me to start this club was that no one uses creativity anymore to tackle anything and this is actual science, ” club president Justin Young (12) said.

The The Amnesty International Club attracted many members with its odoriferous assortment of baked goods. The purpose of this club is to spread awareness about human rights issues around the world through the International Amnesty Organization. This club will hold one fundraiser later this year and the funds will be donated to a needy human rights cause.

“I started this club to basically achieve these goals and contribute to the fight against human rights abuse, we here take this for granted and its very frustrating to realize that most people don’t have the same opportunities as us,” club co-president Shreya Sunkara (10) said.

The addition of many new clubs presented a much broader range of opportunities for students of all grades. For those who were unable to attend this event, Student Activities coordinator, Kerry Enzensperger, sent out a list of all the clubs, most of which have pages on Athena2 with more information.