Students begin to prepare for homecoming week festivities

Sarah+Bean+%2811%29+and+Michael+Lin+%2811%29+discuss+the+plans+for+the+junior+class%E2%80%99+eagle+at+a+meeting+today+in+Dr.+Miriam+Allersma%E2%80%99s+classroom.+They+chose+the+theme+reality+tv+to+style+and+design+their+eagle+with.++
Sarah Bean (11) and Michael Lin (11) discuss the plans for the junior class’ eagle at a meeting today in Dr. Miriam Allersma’s classroom. They chose the theme reality tv to style and design their eagle with.

With the homecoming week approaching in just two weeks, students of all four classes have begun preparing for the homecoming rally by working on their eagles, floats, and skits.

This year, the homecoming game has been moved forward to September instead of taking place in October, which gives each class less time to work on their projects. Students have already become used to the earlier upcoming date and are progressing more quickly.

“It took us a little by surprise because of such an early date but overall we’ve adjusted and we’re getting on track and we’re looking forward to having a fun homecoming this year,” sophomore Spirit Coordinator Edward Sheu said.

Junior class President Sarah Bean planned on making this year’s eagle less structurally complex than last year’s eagle due to the time constraint. Regardless, she feels that the juniors will perform well during the homecoming rally.

“I think our class is going to do even better than last year because we are going to prove to everybody that 2015 can in fact beat 2014,” she said.

The seniors have started on their preparations as well and already come up with a design for the float, planning to begin building this week. Many seniors have volunteered to participate in the skit, as it is their last chance to be a part of the homecoming rally experience.

“It’s our last year as seniors so everyone’s going to put in effort and I hope it goes well,” senior Vice President Dora Tseng said.

Since the freshman class has not yet elected its student council members, the homecoming rally committees are currently led by either people who plan on running for student council positions or the “most energetic and most spirited” students, according to Class of 2017 Dean Jeffrey Draper.

“I feel like they are good, we got T-shirt designs in. We got a flag going and that’s always a lot to get going really fast,” Draper said.

The homecoming rally will take place on Friday, September 27th, prior to the football game that evening.