Students Attend First Monday School Meeting of the Year

Juniors Noel Banerjee, Darby Millard, Julia Wang, Jeton Gutierrez-Bujari, and Glenn Reddy announce upcoming auditions for the 2014 Dance Production. Auditions are open to all students and will be held on September 14.

Today marked the first Monday school meeting of the year, following the previous two Tuesday meetings during shortened weeks.

Announcements ranged from a lacrosse video encouraging sign-ups to Dance Production information to community service, a debate video on the novice Public Forum Convention, and the weekly Eagle Nation sports report.

“Because school meeting was on Monday, stuff kind of got more real and less beginning-of-the-year like because it’s like a regular routine,” Sharon Babu (12) said.

However, one of the special highlights this school meeting was the frisbees, labeled “library.harker.org,” the librarians and ASB President Arjun Goyal (12) tossed out to the crowd of students.

“Harker should give out free merchandise every school meeting,” sophomore Janet Lee said.

The librarians also announced the new book blog and downloadable e-books available on the library portal.

Additionally, Spirit Club gave a heads-up for Homecoming, its related activities, and Club Fair this Wednesday during long lunch. One club students can now add to their list of booths to visit at the fair is the newly reformed Cooking Club, which is making a comeback this year after all of its members graduated two years ago.

“I’ve never really done anything surrounding the cooking club, but I hear it’s going to be better, so I hope it lives up to its expectations,” Jeton Gutierrez-Bujari (11) said.

Amidst the Spirit announcements, Director of Instructional Technology Daniel Hudkins and Assistant Director of Instructional Technology Diane Main updated students on further enhancements in the new homework management system, PCR.

“I’m hoping that it will become as efficient as HHMS was,” Austin Lai (11) said.

The homework management system now has options to display or hide homework, classwork, and tests on students’ schedule grid and has a timeline view by class, with a weekly view of their assignments by default.

Students can look forward to the first class meeting of the year tomorrow, September 10.