New logo store to open in Manzanita

To be located in the Manzanita closet, the new logo store is scheduled to open prior to winter break. Run by student council, it will sell school supplies, books, and spirit wear.

Earlier this week, the opening of the new logo store was announced to the student body through the daily bulletin and on-campus televisions. Situated in Manzanita, the store will offer school supplies and “swag” wear to display eagle pride.

After last year’s bookstore was replaced by the current faculty dining room, the administration decided on the installment of a new school warehouse to accompany the online store. Upon the opening, the store will be run by student council members, including junior Sahithya Prakash.

“I am working there to help sell merchandise and books and just help the store run smoothly,” she said. “Because the old student store went away and the online bookstore came, no one really liked that. So we’re opening a new bookstore and putting in new merchandise that people will be willing to buy.”

Additionally, a contest is taking place to select a logo and title for the student store. Open to all upper school students, the winner of the competition will receive a $50 gift card to the store.

Many students agreed that the selling of spirit wear will increase school pride and enthusiasm on campus.

“I was really excited when I got my own Eagle Nation shirt, so I could show my Harker pride every time I went to a football game,” Ashir Bansal (10) said. “I think this will be kind of the same idea. I can just buy something that looks really cool and represent my school.”

In addition to the increase in school pride and the availability of student supplies, the profits that will be made by the bookstore will also benefit the school as a whole by providing more funds.

“I think it’ll be an additional sorts of revenue for the school so that they will be able to improve any other offerings and supplies, but I also think it’s a way to increase school spirit, being able to walk around with our Harker “swag,” Carlos Johnson-Cruz (12) said. ”It’s just sort of a way to build school spirit while you are helping benefit the school by making a donation.”

The store is scheduled to open prior to winter break.