New back loading zone drop off policy implemented

The bright yellow arrows indicate the extended area where cars can drive. Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson introduced the new drop off procedure in his email sent on November 8.

In order to prevent traffic congestion in the morning, the drop-off location at the back loading zone has been extended beyond its original area, near the sidewalk next to the Dance Room, to the farther end of the Main Hall as of November 12, 2012.

The new policy will result in more space for cars to line up in the back loading zone, leading to less traffic overflow on Saratoga Avenue. Although students may have to wait longer in the new line, this new system will allow those who have first period classes in Dobbins, Shah, or Main to reach their respective classes more quickly.

Many students, including Sahana Rangarajan (10), have been relieved of anxiety in the mornings to get to class on time because of this new drop off process.

“I find this new system to be better,” Sahana said. “My locker is nearer to that side of Main […], so it’ll a much easier process for me to get to class on busy mornings. Also, the traffic will split more now, and so hopefully all the loading zones won’t be as congested.”

On the other hand, some students, such as Caroline Howells (10), believe that the changed system can be disadvantageous.

“Well, I think that it is a problem for students who want to go to Shah first thing in the morning, because now either way they drive into school they have to walk a long way, in addition to having to carry all the load of their backpacks,” Caroline said.

Since this system is new, there will be several staff providing assistance, thus preventing further confusion and making the drop off process in the morning faster.

Depending on the response and ability of parents to adhere to the rules of this new system, the policy may be permanently implemented.

“We hope that this, or some version of it will become a permanent practice,” Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson said in an email interview. “As with most changes in operating systems, we’ll continue to monitor, evaluate, and amend as needed. After the first week our group will regroup, debrief, and assess how things went. This is the next step of the work-in-progress that is the morning drop-off on the Saratoga campus.”

The new parameters of the drop off area in the mornings are indicated by bright yellow arrows on the concrete and will stay in place until further notice.