Students compete in first spirit event of the week

Monika+Lee+%2811%29+races+toward+the+junior+class+pyramid+in+the+sixth+lunch+round+of+the+event+as+a+senior+races+back+to+her+teammates+on+the+other+side+of+the+gym.+The+junior+class+ended+up+winning+that+round.+

Monika Lee (11) races toward the junior class pyramid in the sixth lunch round of the event as a senior races back to her teammates on the other side of the gym. The junior class ended up winning that round.

Cheryl Liu

Cheryl Liu

Cheryl Liu

by Cheryl Liu

On the first day of this year’s Homecoming Week, Tuesday, October 30, students participated in a surprise cup-stacking spirit event in the gym.

During first lunch, the freshmen took first, followed by seniors, juniors, and sophomores, while during second lunch, the juniors placed first, followed by sophomores, seniors, and freshmen. Due their lack of participants, the freshmen did not compete and received an automatic fourth place.

In the event, cones marked where the participants started, while on the other side of the gym, stacks of cups were placed, one for each grade. A player from each team ran to the other side of the gym and moved one cup. The teams cycled through their players and had just enough runners for each person to run once. The objective was to stack the cups in a pyramid as fast as possible; the speediest class to accomplish the task won.

However, the given cups proved to be problematic during the competition. They were made of plastic, were very light, and tended to fall easily. When players ran towards the pyramids and tried to stop in front of them, they would often bump into the pyramid, subsequently requiring more time to rebuild the pyramid and placing them behind other teams.

“[This challenge] required a lot of teamwork and precision. It also required players to run fast,” Simar Mangat (12) said.

Despite the difficulties, Nathan Dalal (10) thought that the spirit event offered an enjoyable experience.

“It was a pretty good idea, and it was fun. I just wish that more people came,” he said.

Another spirit event will be held during lunch on Thursday of Homecoming Week.

About the Writer
Cheryl Liu, Talon Assistant Photo Editor

Cheryl Liu is an assistant photo editor of TALON yearbook. She is a junior and has been part of the journalism program since her freshman year. Her favorite...