Freshmen and sophomores dress up for first day of Homecoming Week

On the first school day of Homecoming Week, the freshmen and sophomores showed their class spirit by wearing costumes and props that represent characters from their Disney movies, Pirates of the Caribbean and Toy Story respectively.

By dressing up and checking in at Manzanita during lunch, students from each grade helped their class gain spirit points that add to the total score at the end of the week.

While certain students chose not to dress up, others failed to remember that today was their dress up day.

“I honestly do not have a set schedule. Today is a certain day, so I will dress up. It [did] not really cross my mind until I enter[ed] the parking lot and [realized] I forgot to dress up,” Jeton Manuel (10) said.

On the other hand, some students remembered to earn points for their class by dressing as particular movie characters. While a common costume among sophomores was a cowboy representing Woody or a cowgirl representing Jessie from Toy Story, Katy Sanchez (10) displayed her class pride by wearing a dinosaur onesie, which represented Rex.

Several freshmen also expressed enthusiasm towards their first Homecoming Week by wearing an entire pirate costume or even by wearing an eye patch.

“[Homecoming Week] is really spirited compared to the middle school and the lower school,” Namitha Vellian (9) said. “If everyone didn’t dress up, then we wouldn’t get spirit points and we wouldn’t beat everyone else.”

Many students are looking forward to events during the week such as the car bashing and the tug of war. Homecoming Week continues with Halloween dress up day on Wednesday and Junior and Senior dress up day on Thursday.