Teacher comments given only to freshmen and seniors this semester

Freshman advisor Gabriele Stahl discussed comments with advisee Kaylan Huang during extended extra help on Thursday, October 11.

Only freshmen, seniors, and students taking semester-long classes received their teacher comments this fall because of a change in the grade reporting system.

According to Dean of Studies Evan Barth, the freshmen were given priority to help them adjust to the new environment of high school, whereas the seniors were given priority because fall comments would be of more use to them.

“In the spring, the seniors are [in] other transitions, [such as] transitioning into college, […] so comments are more meaningful [in the fall],” Barth said.

Freshmen and seniors were given their comments on Thursday, October 11 and Friday, October 12 during extended extra help periods. Each student met with his or her advisor for a ten-minute meeting to discuss teachers’ comments. Advisors talked about students’ strengths and weaknesses in classes and gave them helpful tips for improvement in the future. Some advisors also encouraged students to discuss the comments they were given with their parents.

Many of the freshmen in particular were excited to be among the first to be able to see how they are progressing in their classes.

“I’m glad; it’s better to get [comments earlier] just so you can see how you’re doing this year, especially since we just came [to high school],” Nikita Ramoji (9) said.

On the other hand, some sophomores and juniors were disappointed that their teachers’ comments would not be written until the spring but understood the reasoning behind the decision.

“It would be better to [get] our comments earlier, but it makes more sense for the freshmen and seniors to get them earlier, so it’s fine,” Zoe Papakipos (11) said.

Sophomores and juniors will receive their comments in the spring, while freshman and senior comments were posted online on the Parent Portal today. All students were given progress reports which displayed their current grade in every class.