How Ice Spice spiced up the music industry

23-year-old rapper Ice Spice’s popularity soared over the past year thanks to clever and confident bars on top of producer RIOTUSA’s catchy beats. She first topped the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart with her hit drill track “Munch (Feelin’ U)” in 2022. (Illustration by Janam Chahal)

“And I’m proud that I’m still gettin’ bigger, goin’ viral is gettin’ ‘em sicker,” breakout drill rapper Ice Spice boasts in her 2022 hit song “Bikini Bottom.” 

Born Isis Gaston, the 23-year-old rapper’s popularity soared over the past year thanks to clever and confident bars on top of producer RIOTUSA’s catchy beats. She first topped the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart with her hit drill track “Munch (Feelin’ U)” in 2022. After going viral on TikTok for her unique and memorable one-liners, Ice Spice continued to drop more viral hits, including “Bikini Bottom” in October 2022. The song’s beat resembled music from the cartoon series SpongeBob Squarepants. 

Her debut seven-track EP “Like..?,” released in January, incorporated diverse genres and included “In Ha Mood”, which contained bold bars over an upbeat track. 

Ice Spice fan Aishani Singh (11) respects the confidence that the breakout star embodies in her music. She admires the rapper’s versatile debut album and honest lyrics. 

“‘Like..?,’ was really good and diverse,” Aishani said. “She was so unapologetic. She said what she wanted to and was not afraid to talk about whatever.”

Throughout the EP, Ice Spice delivers flashy and sassy bars. Between flaunting her fame to her haters on the album opener “In Ha Mood,” dropping flirtatious and playful lines with Lil Tjay on “Gangsta Boo” and labeling herself as royalty in her hometown on “Princess Diana,” Ice Spice openly displays her talent for rapping. 

Since coming into the spotlight, Ice Spice has expanded her discography and experimented with a variety of genres. Her discography features the combination of her calm vocals over energetic beats, which has proven to be a unique yet appreciated style of rap. 

“If I [were] to describe my music, I would say that it’s a vibe,” Ice Spice said in a July interview with Apple Music. “It’s for the baddies that get it, for the confident people … It’s just music to feel good to, music to get ready to, to work out to.” 

For fans like Kimaya Mehta (10), Ice Spice leaves a positive influence as many have recognized how her music affects her audience. 

“[Her music] is really energetic and fun to listen to,” Kimaya said. “If I’m feeling sad or down, it hypes me up and I get excited and think about fun things that are happening.”

Ice Spice already has collaborated with PinkPantheress on “Boy’s a Liar Pt. 2,” Nicki Minaj on “Princess Diana,” Taylor Swift on “Karma” and Nicki Minaj and Aqua on “Barbie World.” Ice Spice is the artist with the most Billboard’s Hot 100 top-five singles in 2023, won Billboard’s Rookie of the Year award and received nominations for multiple MTV Video Music Awards.

Kimaya also recognizes Ice Spice as a well-known person, not only because of her popular music but also because of her individuality.

“Her appearance adds to [her fame],” Kimaya said. “She has her iconic orange hair. Everyone knows who she is and what she looks like.

Ice Spice’s bold music and public presence place her at the top of the female rap industry. With the recent release of the deluxe version of Like..?, which contains hits like “Deli,” Ice Spice has been dubbed as “rap’s new princess” by The New York Times and recognized as a promising rapper who is making an influential impact on the female rap industry. 

“Everyone likes something new,” avid Ice Spice listener and “Deli” fan Luke Mehta (12) said. “There haven’t been a lot of new, influential female rappers that have had as much of a voice as Ice Spice has had and have grown as fast.”